WCG619
Newly Registered

Help in ohio

I have a palm plant, if there is such a thing, no one can give me any info about it. I can tell you that a lady in my town passed away and my friend bought her house. The house came with about 40 plants, some 6 ' tall +. I was offered a couple and coming from California this one reminded me of home, I live in Ohio. I really need some info on this plant as I have no idea how to properly care for it. please help. Sincerely dreaming of palms in Ohio ...
Attachments
Pic of plant/palm
Pic of plant/palm

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

What you have is a tree philodendron, which is in the same family, Araceae, as palm trees. It is a tropical and is usually grown as a container/ house plant here in Ohio.

Philodendrons are commonly used as interior plants, even in offices, because they are so easy care. Here's some instructions about caring for it:

https://www.flowershopnetwork.com/flowe ... -selloum-/

If you are looking for palm trees you can keep indoors in Ohio winters, you could also look for the one called parlor palm:

It is also a common house plant here, but is actually a palm tree.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

That plant loves the conditions in N.O., La. I had 2 of them in my front lawn. Unfortunately they were right next to the sidewalk and I'd have to cut them back several times a year or they'd meet in the middle and block the walkway. I eventually removed them and opted for something a little less intrusive.

My neighbor has one in her back yard next to the fence and my shed. It is over 8 ft tall and is showing no signs of stopping. She owns a very large tortoise that uses the plant as a sanctuary from her dogs. That tortoise is about 24 inches long, 15 or so inches wide and stands a good 12 inches off the ground when walking. It looks like it belongs on the Galapagos Islands.

Return to “Plant Identification”