MarcP

A couple more weeds

I think this is garlic mustard but wanted to make sure. It has a wonderful aroma when crushed (like something that would make a good pesto).

This looks a bit like the Spring Beauty I uploaded a few days ago but weedier. Like the Spring Beauty, it's growing in the woods.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

yup, first one sure looks like garlic mustard.

can't help on the second one.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The second one is cut-leaf toothwort, another nice native woodland wildflower. I do like your woods! :)

I wouldn't call it a weed, since I've been planting it in my native woodland shade plants garden, along with the spring beauty and a number of the other ones you have posted.

When you look closely, it isn't very similar to the spring beauty, having those cut leaves, instead of straight grassy blades. And the toothwort is going to get significantly taller than the spring beauty.

The garlic mustard is edible. It was actually brought here from "the old country" with settlers to be a pot herb. But then as with so many things, it got here and had no natural enemies here and escaped to be an invasive, exotic pest weed. So get rid of your weeds by eating them! :)

MarcP

Thank you again, potatoes :-)
BTW, I found this link which contains very little information but what it does have is great. If I had found it earlier, I wouldn't have had to ask so many questions. Of course, there are much better ID sites but this one contains some very basic stuff for where I live.
https://fieldbioinohio.blogspot.com/2011 ... owers.html

MarcP

Thank you Rainbow! Thanks to you and the other great people on this site, I have come to appreciate my little patch of the forest, also.

Return to “Plant Identification”