pp263
Newly Registered

ID of a plant (weed?)

Moved to an old house. In the front yard weed-like plants are covering the yard ground all-over the place. Please identify the name of the plant. :lol:
Attachments
Image257_unknown plant_m1.jpg

shadylane
Green Thumb

Looks like Perwinkle 'vinca'

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Are you sure? Doesn't look much like it to me. Vinca

https://www.ppdl.purdue.edu/PPDL/images/ ... loseup.jpg

has hard, glossy leaves.

I'm not sure what this is, though it looks familiar, but it looks much weedier to me.

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

It's been a LONG time since I had any, but don't Shasta or Alaska daisies make a leaning/clumpy patch like that?

imafan26
Mod

I don't think those are shasta daisies either. The leaves don't look right and are those runners in the picture?

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Yeah, I think those have toothed leaves as well...

Myosotis?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Nope, I'm not thinking it is forget-me-not, either. It is something that will bloom and will be much easier to ID when it does. Hopefully pp263, you can save at least a bit of it until then...

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Studying this pic again, there IS some Vinca in there. Some Ajuga, bottom right corner. Not sure if there are any stolons on the primary plant in the middle or not. Not all stolons I can see are connected to a Vinca leaf, at least that I can see.

Seems like it's going to be one of those black eyed susan type plants to me, some type of ray flower.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You are right about the ajuga in the bottom right corner; I had noticed that, but just not commented on the assumption it wasn't the plant under discussion. And there may be just a bit of vinca in the bottom left, next to a rock. So it seems like this is an area of mixed plantings. It is even possible that the taller thing top right corner with the kind of spoon shaped leaves is different from the main clump in the middle.

pp263
Newly Registered

Thank you for several responces extended to me trying to identify the posted plant. However, I'm focusing on a bundle of the plant seen in the middle and I'm not yet convinced. I'm attaching another similar photo herein and it will be appreciated a further evaluation of the subject plant.
Attachments
Image258_unknown plant_m.jpg

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Could you clarify if the stems along the ground are connected to the middle plant or not? I think they are all Vinca, but since they cross over/under/through the middle plant, it's not a sure thing from these pics.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

It looks a bit like my evening primrose does right now. I found it to be a tricky plant to id since the leaves change shape throughout the season.

Return to “Plant Identification”