MarcP

Something weird in my forest

Go ahead and laugh. My first thought was WOW! A dinosaur egg hatched! But then I realized how unlikely that was so I felt it and it felt rubbery but not like real rubber. A fungus? It seems to be anchored so I didn't want to damage it by pulling at it. Looking on line, I see black puffballs that closely resemble this but I don't see anything listed for Lenawee County in Michigan. What do you think it is? You can see rain water inside the hole.

applestar
Mod

That is cool looking. (Love the dinosaur egg idea :wink: )
It reminds me of "Birds Nest Fungus" they showed us on a fungi walk -- a little different, but similar.

MarcP

I think you're on to something. I'm going back today to do a video of it (assuming it's still there and I can find it).

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

yeah, definitely looks fungal... interesting that there's those three evenly spaced shoots coming up right around it...solomon's seal, maybe? they're sure ringing it in, though.

MarcP

I wondered about those shoots, too. There is a lot of false Solomon's seal in the woods so it could be that. I'll keep an eye on this. If anyone has time and/or inclination, I just started a Facebook page called The Feral Forest. I'll include a link to the albums but you might have to sign in to see or comment. I have one album called No ID where I've posted photos of common weeds that I haven't yet tried to identify. I'm sorry but the organization of the photos is more for my benefit than anyone else's.

https://www.facebook.com/theferalforest/photos_albums

MarcP

One of my Facebook friends suggested these two fungi. Now, she lives in England but these are both excellent guesses: Plectania melastoma and Ebony Cup Fungus

MarcP

How about this? Urnula craterium (Devil's Urn)

Return to “Plant Identification”