leke
Cool Member

Something strange popped up next to to my tomato transplant

Hi, I noticed something strange pop up next to to my tomato transplant. From the seedling it looks like marijuana (although perhaps it could be another plant that looks like it from seedling).
The weird thing is, I don't have any pot or pot seeds here in the apartment, my kids a re all under 10, and my wife is totally anti-drugs. The soil I used was bought in a bag, and the plants have always been inside -- so I have no idea what it is doing there.

Could it be possible that my store bought soil contains pot seeds?

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Do you have a picture?

leke
Cool Member

I just took one: Image

I gew a little pot about 15 years ago so kind of had an idea what they looked like. Googling around, it looks just like the others in the image search.

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

It's too small to determine much of anything, but does look suspicious. It could be a type grown for hemp, not smoking, fairly common in some bird seed mixes, if it is a marijuana.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm not convinced that's what it is, but it will be easier to tell when it gets a little bigger and puts out a few more leaves.

leke
Cool Member

Well, I'm slightly nervious, but let's see what it turns into :lol:

MarcP

This sprout is said to be marijuana and it sure looks a lot like yours, to me.
Yours below:

Ech

100% That is marijuana. And it will grow anywhere, which is why they call it "weed".

Ech

I apologize I should have thought before I replied. 100% that is Hemp, however it may not be Cannabis.

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

It's all Cannabis. The deciding factor on whether it's marijuana or hemp is THC content. "Hemp" seeds are commonly included in bird seed mixes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis

leke
Cool Member

I should probably get rid of it then. :cry:

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

It seems to be causing a lot of angst, so that's a good idea, IMO.

Ech

Its not all Cannabis. Cannabis is the English word, Marijuana is the Spanish word and both refer to a specific genus of a plant in the Hemp family. Hemp that you make rope, or clothes or oil from you could smoke till you passed out and you would never get a high, just a headache. That being said they are all illegal unless you live in Cali or C.O.

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Cannabis is the correct botanical Latin epithet for the genus, of which there are 3 species. OP is in Finland, and your view of the law is simplistic.

Ech

True but then again according to the law Pizza is a Vegetable and Corporations are people so forgive me if I don't pay attention to what the "law" says.

Return to “Plant Identification”