RogueRose
Green Thumb

What is this taking over my lawn?

When my neighbor took it in they said its chickweed...but when I looked it up online it didn't have any of the "markers" of chickweed. It doesn't have the alternating hair and when I snap it it snaps completely and there's no filament/goo on the inside...as this one place I was reading. Plus its not clumpy and hanging on to things like I see in the pictures...no idea what this is. First year I've ever seen it here. And my landlord also said they'd never seen it either

applestar
Mod

They're practically the first weeds to bloom -- pretty sure it's bitter cress.
My kids love to pick them and when they go to seed, the little pods pop and scatter seeds everywhere so that the tiny seeds make pattering noises on their shoes, boots, and pant legs. They love to run through and scatter the seeds.... :roll:

...so it's a good idea to hoe them down before they do go to seed.

...but if you uproot them, you'll find tons of earthworms congregating and ...well... doing other things in the roots....

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

yup, one of the wild cresses.

RogueRose
Green Thumb

Doesn't cress require super wet conditions? It hasn't been THAT wet....

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

watercress needs lots of water, but it's got lots of dryland cousins. there's a number of garden cresses that I see in seed catalogs - for regular garden soil.

imafan26
Mod

Hey, I have that too! Now I know what it is called.

RogueRose
Green Thumb

Got it....I have yet to see any of those pods form. I kind of don't mind them TOO much....kind of makes my lawn look like a prairie and hopefully will bring in bees! :P

Return to “Plant Identification”