MarcP

Dandelion vs Prickly Lettuce, Clover vs black medic

Photo 1 (above):
The margins on this larger plant don't look like dandelion to me. Could it be prickly lettuce? Also, I'm wondering if those are really clovers or are they black medic?

Photo 2 (above):
Again, is this black medic or some kind of clover, maybe hop clover?

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

The fat white stem on the one leaf looks more like a bulb type of Oxalis to me, but don't know any offhand that would be in MI. "Clovers" are deceiving sometimes until they make a flower, and especially at such a juvenile state. I think you can rule out O. stricta though. Those start with much smaller leaves.

The dandelion looks like some type of Sonchus.

Mr_bobo_

It is not Oxalis...

...its: Trifolium campestre - yellow clover (picture 2) ...as you call it - black medic - to ask me I don't see connection with name :/
Familia: Lamiaceae

...on picture 1 is Taraxacum officinale - dandelion
Familia: Asterales
...around it... clover can be Trifolium repens

MarcP

This is far from certain but, at the moment, I'm inclined to go along with the idea that the "dandelion" is a Sonchus, maybe oleraceus, because of the spiny margins. I agree that the "clovers" are not oxalis but they do look like either hop clover (Trifolium campestre) or black medic (Medicago lupulina). The reason I think so is because of the spent flowers and the one tiny bit of yellow flower showing in the second photo. I am certainly open for discussion.

applestar
Mod

Dendelions HAVE pointy serrated *shaped* leaf margins, hence the name "Dent de Lion" though in my garden I have both the pictured form and more smooth, ruffly margined dandelions.

The Prickly Lettuce have actual pointy stinger like spines in addition to just pointy shape.

MarcP

applestar wrote:Dendelions HAVE pointy serrated *shaped* leaf margins, hence the name "Dent de Lion" though in my garden I have both the pictured form and more smooth, ruffly margined dandelions.

The Prickly Lettuce have actual pointy stinger like spines in addition to just pointy shape.
Yes, I know dandelions have serrated margins but if you look closely, this plant has more than serrations, it has what looks like soft thorns along the margins.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Purple leaf veins?

I seem to recall a somewhat greyish color to the veins for prickly lettuce. However, I could be wrong about the plant in the picture, MarcP.

Yes, that little yellow flower looks like a "give away" for a black medic.

Steve

applestar
Mod

I was going to say the weed I thought was prickly lettuce in my garden had frosty blue green color.... I once posted about this wild rabbit that had just carefully nipped an 18" stalk at the base and had started stuffing it in its mouth and down the gullet when there was an alarm sounded by the wild birds. It was the funniest sight!

Mr_bobo_

MarcP wrote:This is far from certain but, at the moment, I'm inclined to go along with the idea that the "dandelion" is a Sonchus, maybe oleraceus, because of the spiny margins.
No way...
...I'm 100% sure that on first picture leafage belong dandelion... ;)
Sonchus have total different leaf construction...

MarcP

Mr_bobo_ wrote:
MarcP wrote:This is far from certain but, at the moment, I'm inclined to go along with the idea that the "dandelion" is a Sonchus, maybe oleraceus, because of the spiny margins.
No way...
...I'm 100% sure that on first picture leafage belong dandelion... ;)
Sonchus have total different leaf construction...
After looking at a lot more photos and considering where this was growing, I guess you're right. Would you say the "clover" is Medicago lupulina or some kind of hop clover like Trifolium campestre?

Mr_bobo_

I already answer you that most possible is Trifolium repens
...you can verify... when it will have flowers... ;)
...Medicago grow much bigger, different...

Return to “Plant Identification”