hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

What a nice fungus!

I don't eat wild mushrooms, but was tempted by this one which appears to me to be an oyster mushroom growing on a hollow walnut tree. Quite a beautiful specimen.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Beautiful :!: G harvested a wonderful lion's mane while hunting in north east Louisiana. I KNEW it was a lion's mane but I sent pics to the ULL botony department for a positive ID. You may try the same with your beautiful speciman. If it is edible then by all means harvest it. Mark the tree so you can come back to it because it will grow a new one next year.

I never eat wild mushrooms without a positive ID but when I get the ID I enjoy them sooo much.

The Lion's Mane was wonderful sauteed in butter with garlic and fresh dill. I also fried some in a beer batter. I used a good bit of it to flavor other dishes. My fave was a roasted hen. I loosend the skin from the meat and tucked in thin slices of mushroom and brie cheese between the skin and the meat. Yumm!

JasonFL

^^ OMG, please don't share stories like that unless you can send some to the entire community, lol!

Nice find hendi_alex :D

Return to “Plant Identification”