MarcP

A game--Composite 1

removed
Last edited by MarcP on Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Fun! Let's see:

There's a clover, there's some grass, the feathery-carroty stuff is probably Queen Anne's lace. The little round leaves next to it might be chickweed, but that's just a guess.

Then in the top left there's a long elliptical leaf. Not getting that one right now.

applestar
Mod

1) carrot or Queen Ann's Lace
2) narrow leaf Plantain -- long elliptical top left
3) What looks a lot like wild oat -- oh, wait it has sedge like seed heads
4) clover
5) argh! can't think of that one! What is it.... :? Yeah that one that looks somewhat like chickweed as blurry little one but is probably the same as the larger in focus one and definitely not chickweed -- is that the kind that has milky sap?
6) thin grass in right front looks like any lawn grass

MarcP

My guesses (and they are pure guesses) Queen Anne's lace, plantain and clover. Like applestar, I waffled on the short upright plant, thinking it might be chickweed, then changing my mind. A while ago, I uploaded a photo which I think is the same plant and Purpleinopp suggested it might be Galium (cleavers). https://www.marcperroquet.com/weeds/ .

Applestar also caught that sedge-like grass, or whatever it is, which I hadn't even noticed. Good show!

The feathery plant was the one that most interested me. I thought maybe wild carrot, but when I zoomed in on the part pointing towards the clover, I started thinking ragweed, which does, in fact, grow across the street. On the other hand, as rainbowgardener pointed out, there is Queen Anne's lace in the upper left corner, so those leaves might very well belong to that plant.

applestar
Mod

Thanks! Post more.8)

Buckeye butterflies use narrow leaf plantain as host plants for their caterpillars. Caterpillars are black and bristly with red markings. So you may want to keep an eye out for them in spring.

We occasionally have freshly eclosed buckeye butterflies in our garden most likely from the big patch of narrow leaf plantain under the weeping cherry in the front yard. I also let sweet violets naturalize under there so no mulch for the poor cherry, but it seems to be doing well with the "ground covers".

Neighbors don't like my "untidy" style though :roll: -- their front lawn trees are all precisely edged and freshly mulched with stinky or luridly dyed commercial mulch each spring. -- I just sweep all the leaves I can rake up from the surrounding area of the front lawn under the tree in the fall.... :wink:

applestar
Mod

The one that I couldn't ID before -- I'm thinking spurge/euphorbia ... What do you think?
:arrow: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphorbia_peplus
Last edited by applestar on Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I thought about cleavers/Galium/lady's bedstraw first when I looked at it, but I think the leaves are much narrower.]

cleavers

MarcP

That was my thought too, RBG, and also, that the leaves seem glossier in my plant. But, I wasn't sure since I have not yet seen cleavers in person.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I do have cleavers in my native plants garden. The stems are very limp/fragile and tend to sprawl on the ground, not stand upright.

Return to “Plant Identification”