pinksand
Greener Thumb

Lambs Ear Look-Alike

I really wish I had a photo, but I'll do my best to describe this plant!

I purchased some perennials for my mom last Spring and can't for the life of me remember what they were called! They look very similar to Lambs Ear, with silvery furry leaves. However, the leaves are a tiny bit leaner with a crinkly appearance toward the edges and slightly more erect than floppy. The fur is also finer and more dense. The leaves almost have a "papery" feel, somewhat like a dried up lambs ear (but they are healthy and still going strong). I remember in the photo on the tag they had brilliant red flowers, but I can't remember anything specific about the flower shape, just that I loved the contrast of the silver leaves and red flowers. They never ended up blooming though :(

I've been searching everywhere for an ID online because I'd like to get some for my garden next Spring, but I can't find a match. They definitely are NOT Salvia argentea or common mullien.

Any ideas? If not maybe I'll find them again at the same nursery!

rocketfiredash

it isn't campions is it?

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Ooo you know that might be it!!! It's hard to match them to the google images since most of them are in full bloom and these never bloomed and stayed short and compact, BUT I'm pretty sure that's correct! The leaves look about right.

Do you have experience with them? Any tips since they never bloomed?

Return to “Plant Identification”