ValderasR
Newly Registered

what kind of vine is this ????????

Can anybody tell me what this is? When I bought it I was told it was a grape aid passion vine but what I bought looks nothing like One of those. The link below will take you to photos...thanks for the help!

https://m.flickr.com/lightbox?id=8156140682

lorax
Greener Thumb

It's a Passiflora all right - one of the ones in the same leaf group as Maracuyá (P. edulis) and Granadilla (P. ligularis).

It will be absolutely impossible to say what it is exactly until we see flowers.

ValderasR
Newly Registered

Lorax,

Thank you for your response but I am still a bit confused. When I do a Google search for the plants you listed the leaves are clearly much different than my plant. The leaves for most Passiflora seem to be a 3 lobed leaf whereas my plant has large heart shaped wide leaves. In my opinion my plant is something totally different than a Passiflora species and it was sold under the wrong name but then again what the heck do I know? LOL

Do the leaves change as the Passiflora matures? If so that may be the reason when I do a Google search for 'passiflora leaves' the results show nothing similar to my plant.

Thanks again for your help! Any additional information will be greatly appreciated.

lorax
Greener Thumb

I'll go take pictures of what I'm 100% certain is Passiflora ligularis, if you like. It's growing outside my front door; I planted it there myself from a cutting taken from a plant I'm also 100% sure of.

My Granadilla plant has broad, cordate leaves (heart-shaped). This type are the rarity among passifloras, though!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/23/Passiflora_ligularis_Juss.jpg

ValderasR
Newly Registered

Lorax,

Thank you so much for the clarification. I guess I wasn't duped as I thought. :lol:

I cannot wait for this thing to start flowering!

One more thing...I noticed some small yellow spots on some of the leaves...is that natural or is this indicative of something going wrong?

Thanks again for your help!

lorax
Greener Thumb

If the spotting is on older leaves, it's normal. If it's on newer leaves, check for thrips, aphids, or spider mites and then treat accordingly (I like a solution of castille soap, water, and olive oil, myself.)

ValderasR
Newly Registered

Lorax,

Thanks for the info! I really appreciate your help.

When I read your replies I read it in a Danny Devito voice. LOL. :lol:

Thanks again!!!

Return to “Plant Identification”