pinksand
Greener Thumb

ID plants from website

I came across this https://www.bhg.com/home-improvement/exteriors/curb-appeal/ways-to-add-curb-appeal/#page=9 but am having trouble identifying all of the plants. Obviously sweet potato vine... is that deep burgundy in the center towards the top coleus? I'm particularly interested in the pink plant cascading in the center.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I'm thinking it may be one of those ivy geraniums. and yes, the deep burgundy looks to be coleus.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Wow, I had never heard of ivy geraniums! I looked them up and I think you could be right, although the leaves maybe look a bit more slender and oblong than a geranium (it's hard to tell in the photo but look towards the bottom). I've never been a geranium fan, but I think I could go for the ivy variety!

Any ideas for the red/hot pink flowers on either side of the pink? I'm also curious about the white salvia-like plant in the center.

lorax
Greener Thumb

The cascading pink flowered plant has the wrong leaves for Ivy Geraniums, although you'd get the same effect if you were to use them.

To me, it looks more like a double Azalea, but I can't get clear enough resolution when I blow up the photo to be certain. There are also Gerbera daisies (the yellow ones on the upper right), and what looks to be Clove Pinks (the deep pink, smaller flowered ones) in there.

applestar
Mod

Growth pattern looks like Double petunia to me....

lorax
Greener Thumb

Ooh, good call Apple. The leaves match Petunias better, and there are certainly tons of trailing varieties.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

I agree, the double petunia seems to fit! I've never heard of them either, I'll have to keep my eye out for them in the nurseries next spring! I had the regular trailing petunias in my boxes this year and they did well, but the double variety seem like they'd be much showier!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, I grow the double petunias every year and they are way showier, look more like a carnation or something. Only thing I don't like... my single petunias I collect seeds from, but the doubles are apparently a sterile hybrid and I have never had any set any seed. So I have to buy those seeds again every year.

Return to “Plant Identification”