pinksand
Greener Thumb

Vine ID

I'm constantly at war with this vine that keeps creeping over from my neighbors' yard. Their yard is essentially a mass of matted weeds that I'm doing my best to keep on their side. This vine grows ridiculously fast and keeps twisting itself around my crape myrtle and has completely over taken several rose of sharons that I didn't even realize were there because they're so engulfed.

I took this photo tonight in my garage so the lighting is really poor. Sorry :(

[img]https://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z379/pinksand11/Garden/IMG_3054_zps38d18db8.jpg[/img]

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

asiatic/oriental bittersweet.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

"Grows as a vine that smothers plants and uproots trees due to its weight"

YEP sounds about right! Ugh, I don't know what to do about this thing :( It's pretty much consuming my neighbors' yard along with common pokeweed that's about as tall as me! Plus a tangled mat of something prickly and most likely some poison ivy in there too... pretty much anything horrible and ugly, they've got it! We don't have a fence or anything so there's just this line where the previous owners of our house clearly tried to keep up with the weeds. The vine is ridiculously resilient though :( UGH

I guess this is the downside to not having a Home Owners Assoc.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

To start with when you can, I would put some edging barrier between the neighbor's yard and yours. Something like a short fence, a foot or so tall, but 8" down into the ground to try to slow down roots from coming across. This won't solve the problem, but it will help.

Return to “Plant Identification”