mittengardener

A couple more plants I'd like info on

First is a viney thing that is growing up my rock maple. It probably grows about 1 foot each year.

2nd is a weird bush. It grows out of a mound of dirt. Each "branch" of this bush looks like it grows separately from the others, but I have no idea what is going on under the ground...how they're connected, etc.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sorry, but weeds...

The vine is euonymous and you are lucky if it only grows a foot a year! It is known for spreading rapidly and agressively and smothering everything in its path. If you want that maple tree to live, you should strip the euonymous off it and away from the base. Otherwise the euonymous WILL eventually kill the tree.

The second one I'm not for sure but it looks like Japanese honeysuckle shrub. Here's a picture of the Japanese honeysuckle shrub:

[img]https://www.icu-feedback.com/Honeysucle.jpg[/img]

It gets white flowers in the spring

[img]https://farmweeknow.com/cdfm/Fareek3/author/29/gallery/Lonicera-japonica.jpg[/img]

and then red berries in the fall

[img]https://www.sierrapotomac.org/W_Needham/Pictures/HoneysuckleBerries_Greenbelt_061118.jpg[/img]

It would actually be kind of pretty if you could just have one, but it is another nasty invasive exotic that takes over everything. Turns forests into honeysuckle mono-cultures. It is the earliest to leaf out in the spring and last to lose it leaves in the fall. So it shades out all the spring ephemeral wildflowers that rely on that period of sunshine before the trees leaf out AND it shades/ smothers out the tree seedlings, so no new trees come along to replace the old ones and the forest dies...

Sorry, but you found my nemesis -es, the things (along with English ivy) that I have spent major parts of my life trying to eradicate...

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

first one looks like wintergreen to me (gaultheria)...

second...could it be forsythia? looks too toothed-leaved to be a honeysuckle, to me.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I really don't think so on the vine, but that one's an easy test. Crush a leaf and smell/ taste it. If it would be wintergreen, it will have a very strong minty smell and taste.

I said the shrub was a maybe and I can't get the picture to enlarge to show detail of the leaves. But the kind of droopy look to it seems more honeysuckle than forsythia, which tends to hold its leaves angled upward. Again, the owner should know since we have passed the bloom time for both of them. The honeysuckle has a sparse crop of the white flowers, after it is already leafed out. The forsythia cannot be missed in bloom, getting covered in brilliant gold blossoms before it leafs out, so that all you see is the flowers.

mittengardener

The alleged honeysuckle/forsythia never blossoms. I ripped it out tonight, but if history tells me anything then it'll be back.

As for the vine thing - I also ripped that out. Not worth the risk as that is my favorite tree on my property.

WildcatNurseryman

Good advice Rainbow, and good work Mitten. I would love to see all of those two plants gone from our shores (unlikely, I know).

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Just a +1 on getting rid of the vine. Don't wait. 1' per year is exceptionally slow for this %$#&@ nuisance. I have to inspect my woods twice yearly and cut everything back. Of course, I don't paint the ends with glycophosphate as is recommended.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I really think I was right on both counts and you did well to get rid of them.

Only two ways to get rid of the honeysuckle so it doesn't come back: paint all the cut ends with glyphosate/ Round up or pull/ dig it out by the roots. The saving grace of honeysuckles is that they are quite shallow rooted. One that small would not be too hard to dig out or even pull out if you water well first.

If you have a bunch of these to get rid of, one of my fellow Ohioans invented a lovely device called a honeysuckle popper. Basically a hook to go under the roots on a long lever and you can just pry/ pop them out.

https://www.misterhoneysuckle.com/

Return to “Plant Identification”