brooklyn boy
Cool Member

Ivy identification ? (photo included)

Any idea what [kind of ivy] this is?
Image (sorry for low quality picture it was taken from my cell)
Last edited by brooklyn boy on Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

looks like a variegated vinca (periwinkle), not an actual ivy, to me.

brooklyn boy
Cool Member

!potatoes! wrote:looks like a variegated vinca (periwinkle), not an actual ivy, to me.
I googled variegated vinca (periwinkle) and it has flowers mine doesn't grow flowers

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

How long have you had yours? It may just not be big enough to flower yet. It also needs some direct sun to flower, although it will grow in pretty much shade, under the base of trees.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I'm somewhat curious where you bought the plant, or if it was a gift from someone. It looks very much to me like a start of a plant known as Ganges Primrose (Asystasia gangetica variegata). It could just as easily be variegated vinca. It's really impossible to tell without flowers.

I actually know nothing about this species, just found a pic online and thought the leaves were a very close match for those of your plant. The species is a native of Florida, but grows in Hawaii and other warm areas as well. It's also tolerant of dry soil and warm temperatures.

Your plant looks quite typical of what is commonly seen as a "start" of any kind of ground cover. Usually several such starts are planted 6 to 12 inches apart, and they spread and cover the ground. If you had 3 or 5 of such such starts and planted them in a hanging planter, they could very well make a very attractive presentation as they mature and bloom. Here's the pic I found:

[img]https://www.landcraftenvironment.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/ASYS-GGl.jpg[/img]

There were a couple other plants I saw that it might be, but they seemed to become more like small shrubs as they matured. This might give you a place to start your research, though. As I mentioned at the beginning, this is just a guess based on your pic and an image I found on the web. I could easily be way off base. ( :wink: )

Good luck to you! :)

Return to “Plant Identification”