mittengardener

Weeds? Ground Cover? Ground Covering Weed?!

At the back of my yard along my chain link fence is a shaded area under a mulberry tree. My neighbor's back corner is generally left untended and as a result a couple of plants have jumped through the fence. I've left them to grow because I like how they look, but I'd also like to know what they are and what to expect of them. I have some tiger lilly planted around the area and they seem unaffected.

The first one is a very soft, feathery feeling grass that appeared last year. It's different grass than my lawn and grows about 8-10 inches high.

The 2nd is a creeping vine looking plant that doesn't climb. It hasn't attempted to get up on the chain link or on the mulberry tree back there. It is pretty aggressive and expands about 2-3 feet per year.

Any help will be appreciated! I'm also excited by new things in my yard..even if they're weeds!

Perennialnorthernmichigan

The first grass is a native grass to Michigan. It's more of a weed. It jumps up in all of our gardens in between lilies and irises. Unfortunately when surrounded by our beloved perennials we can't kill it with weed killer so if it bugs you, you have to pick it. Fortunately it's east to pick.
The second is also a native shade weed/ground cover to Michigan. Here's the thing if you pick a little bit every time you walk by, you could keep these under control; I would like to advise you if you keep letting them grow they could over-take and become quite an eye sore, especially if you have plants that are beautiful, the natives could easily cover a nice perennial.

mittengardener

How come all the random things that pop up in my yard are always weeds? Chickweed, weird grass, creeping ground cover...sheesh!

Thanks for your help :)

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Well, at least chickweed is edible. That makes for a good revenge! Pick it and eat it! (Doesn't taste bad, either.)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

mittengardener wrote:How come all the random things that pop up in my yard are always weeds? Chickweed, weird grass, creeping ground cover...sheesh!

Thanks for your help :)
The things that grow the fastest in your garden and pop up in the millions are always weeds! That's what makes them weeds.

Return to “Plant Identification”