Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Name this plant please?

Can anybody name this plant?

[img]https://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/charliemv/IMG_0242.jpg[/img]

applestar
Mod

Are these leaves as big as they look? I've no idea what they are but I've moved the thread to "Plant Identifiction" forum to challenge our members (Charlie, this is a relatively new sub forum and you may not have been aware of it :wink: )

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I love new words when people come up with them! :)

Plant Identi-fiction refers to the fictions we often come up with when trying to identify plants? :)

Charlie's plant is truly mysterious. I would definitely have to make something up!
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

SCvoter
Newly Registered

More info on the mystery plant CharlieMV posted.

These plants are planted across the front yard of a house in the Shannon area of Columbia, SC in the shade.

I have looked at them for years so they either can stand some fairly cold weather or are taken up in the fall and put back out in the spring. Since it is early June now, and they are so large, I suspect they have weathered the winter where they are.

The leaves are very large - 8 to 12 or more inches across. The plants are around 3' tall.

The stalks of the plants look like stalks of elephant ears, but my search of alicasias and elephant ears has not resulted in identifying them.

One day I may catch the owners at home and ask them, but no luck so far.

Hopefully one of you know what they are. I have a perfect spot for such a showy interesting plant.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

bump

lorax
Greener Thumb

Charlie, I can't see the pic (my internet is sucking eggs tonight), but I'd bet you dollars to donuts you're looking at either Alocasia gigantea or one of the really big Xanthosomas.

SCvoter
Newly Registered

Charlie posted this plant identification request for me.

I researched your suggestions again, and can't find a similar plant on line - drat. My first thought too, was that it was a member of the elephant ear family (or alacasias).

The leaf is almost round and is sloped. The alacasias that I am familiar with, and from the pictures found on the net, the leaves are more pointed on the end opposite the split and stem. Also, the alacasias that I have seen have a different texture to their leaf. The stems seem the same tho.

Thank you for your response.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Just throwing this out.

Butterbur
https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/83663/

Eric

SCvoter
Newly Registered

Thank you for your identification of this plant. Petasites japonicus (Siebold & Zucc.) Maxim. Japanese sweet coltsfoot

USDA shows a map of where it grows, and it does not show it growing so far south. I can assure them it is well and happy in Columbia, SC and has been thriving here for years. [img]:https://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=peja3[/img]

CharlieMV, according to info on the 'net, it is eatable. You seemed concerned that if it were not eatable, you would not recognize it. I can't imagine eating a plant that looks like this, even just the spring growth, as many of us southerners seem have a limited palate and don't venture far from abundant local produce.
[img]:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petasites_japonicus[/img]

Thanks again for locating the name of this plant.

Return to “Plant Identification”