michaeldefoe
Newly Registered

Please help me identify this adopted plant (Pics)

Definite noob to all things plants. Took over this office and this plant was left behind. Moved into the rare sun we get in Seattle, and water it a bit every day, along with spraying the leaves a few times a day. Seems to be doing all right.

Trying to take care of it, wanted to know if there is more I should be doing.

Thank you for helping.

lorax
Greener Thumb

Dracaena deremensis.

michaeldefoe
Newly Registered

Well look at you. Thanks so much, will start my research. Post can be deleted if you want to keep the forum clean.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It'a a Dracaena. I'm not sure of the species and variety, but they're pretty easy to grow. They don't like to be overwatered, but I suggest you water it thoroughly, until the water runs freely from the bottom of the pot. Then let the soil dry somewhat before you water again. Let the soil get dry to about an inch or inch-and-a-half below the surface, before watering again.

They do well in some gentle sun, such as early morning light, or even just bright light. They aren't a full-sun type of plant.

If your plant is doing well, though, I think you should continue as you are. If the tips of the leaves start to turn brown, it will probably be a sign of not enough water. Plants in nature get a lot of water all at once, when it rains. Then they go awhile without water until it rains again. So that's a more natural watering method than giving them "a little bit every day." But I think any plant that is doing well under the care it's receiving should be allowed to continue. The old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" theory. ;)

lorax
Greener Thumb

Kisal wrote: .... They aren't a full-sun type of plant.
Not in the house, I guess. Dracs are living fenceposts down here, and they do beautifully in full sun so long as that's accompanied by lung-crushingly high humidity.....

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Kinda looked to me that the plant was indoors. I doubt it would survive for more than a few months outdoors in Seattle. ;)

Return to “Plant Identification”