Desirai
Cool Member

Mystery seedling.

I found this plant in one of my seed flats last year and I wasn't sure if maybe I accidentally planted a seed in the wrong flat or if it is just a weed. Anyway, I've been taking care of it. It went dormant in the winter and lost all its leaves... I thought it died.

But now it's warmed up and it is flourishing.. sprouting new leaves.

The leaves are fuzzy. The plant is very small. it's only maybe 2 inches across and the leaves are growing out, not up.

Desirai
Cool Member

Seedling #2 is growing in my flat marked "Bing Cherry" but I don't think this is a cherry seedling..

any idea? Is it a cherry seedling?

WildcatNurseryman

The second one is not a cherry, but looks like a maple or sweet-gum. The first one looked like a petunia but it wouldn't gp dormant and then return. Could be a new seed that started this spring though. I would grow it on just to see what it is.

applestar
Mod

That first one, does it have a woody stem? Doesn't it really look like a native azalea/rhodo? But is that likely?

Desirai
Cool Member

it doesn't really have a stem.. it's just leaves

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

perennial of some sort, though...some evening primrose? something in that family?

it'll probably be trying to flower, regardless of what it is, this year. that'll help the identification.

Return to “Plant Identification”