applestar
Mod

OK I'm stumped - help ID this seedling? >> Jewelweed

It's the one with large furry cotyledons. I have them coming up everywhere and sometimes in clusters.

[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/7065d1a8.jpg[/img]

Last year, I was hardly able to tend the garden due to health issues and a lot of things were allowed to go to seed. :roll:
Last edited by applestar on Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

except for the fuzziness, I'd say jewelweed, shape, etc is just right...

but you got me. jewelweed isn't exactly known for its fuzz.

cotyledon shape is pretty standard in familial groups, though. what's related to jewelweed?

applestar
Mod

Hmmm... Doesn't jewel weed have WAXY water repellent cotyledons? I mean it's entirely possible. I leaned over a culvert 6 feet above the water to collect a few seeds a few years ago and their offspring have been going to town in my garden.

I do love that the bumblebees and hummingbirds absolutely go nuts over the flowers. :D

My kids think they are a blast when the seeds start shooting and collect them and toss them around.... For all I know, that's what they did last fall :roll: This would explain the clusters, too.

soil
Greener Thumb

theres only one way to find out for sure. let it grow until you can ID it, then remember this stage for future reference.

applestar
Mod

Well, soil, the more I thought about it and looked at it, more I felt you are right. So I checked where the jewel weeds are SUPPOSED to grow. It's my shade garden and spring is slower to arrive there but there ARE a few seedlings starting to grow there and they are identical to the ones in my garden beds. And seeing them there, I did recognize them. (Does that make sense?)

So ding ding! You were correct! :clap:

Thanks! :wink:

Return to “Plant Identification”