superschwein22
Cool Member

blue flowering ground cover?

I know this will be difficult with no pictures attached but I will give it a try. This is the first spring I am experiencing at this house. I have a flower bed in front of my house and when I moved in I planted rhododendrons there and also a couple of bulbs. Now, I have a low growing plant that appears to be spreading and it has blue flowers. It looks really neat but is somewhat not where I would want it to be, lol. Do any of you know what it might be and whether I might be able to move it?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I cannot guess what it might be. I have at least 3 or 4 different ground covers in my yard that meet that description. Some of them I planted, others just volunteered.

[url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724]Posting Pictures & Photos[/url]

PaulF
Greener Thumb

My guess is Vinca or maybe grape hyacinth.

bangstrom

Creeping Charlie: A blue flowering ground cover that looks really neat but spreads like crazy to everywhere you do not want it to be.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

^ that was my thought, too. creeping charlie, aka gill-over-the-ground, aka ground ivy. I'd call the flowers more purple than than blue, personally, but in that range, anyway.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

https://www.flickr.com/photos/summersetgardens/5676554309/

That's a link to a photo someone posted here of vinca minor (aka periwinkle, creeping myrtle) which I think is one of the commonest blue flowering ground covers. Is it what you have? It does spread like crazy and smother out everything in it's path.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

so, are the leaves scalloped at the edge (like creeping charlie), or smooth (a la vinca) what shape flower, etc.

superschwein22
Cool Member

Okay, I image googled all suggestions and it's none of the above. I am getting my husband to show me how to upload pictures onto this computer. Lol, we got a new computer and things just don't work the way that I want them to.
The leaves are scalloped at the edge, when they first showed up I actually thought it was the mums I had planted right next to that area last fall. The flowers have many petals all in the same shade blue (shaped like a daisy) and the stemp is yellow.

nedwina

superschwein22 wrote:Okay, I image googled all suggestions and it's none of the above. I am getting my husband to show me how to upload pictures onto this computer. Lol, we got a new computer and things just don't work the way that I want them to.
The leaves are scalloped at the edge, when they first showed up I actually thought it was the mums I had planted right next to that area last fall. The flowers have many petals all in the same shade blue (shaped like a daisy) and the stemp is yellow.
Could be Little Blue Stars, (AKA Glory of the Snow) Chionodoxa luciliae. My white ones are up.

Might be an anemone, but it's kinda early for them. (But then again, that may not matter this spring~)

Moley
Cool Member

Glory of the snow are PITA, I am on year two of a total removal from a front bed approximately 6x25. Spring year one I yanked out what I thought was about 90% of them, it equaled two 55 gallon trash bags. mulched well over the summer into winter. Much to my demise this spring the little bulbs came back with a vengeance, the soil was easier to dig this time around, but I still pulled up a 55 gallon trash bag full.

I covered the bed with 3 inches of compost and will add another 2 inches of leaf mold when the weather warms some.

I hope next spring to be fully rid of these in this bed, but who knows. If what you have are indeed glory of the snow yank one up carefully to see if has a little bulb at the end.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't think of glory of the snow as exactly ground cover ish (very little leaves) or exactly daisy like (six petaled little flowers)

[img]https://www.types-of-flowers.org/pictures/chionodoxa_luciliae.JPG[/img]

OP we are just totally guessing without pictures. Instructions for posting pictures here are in New to Helpful Gardener under Helpful Tips and suggestions for new members.

Return to “Plant Identification”