Lianne

Two questions

Hi All!

Two questions today...

First, we inherited a few unruly/unkempt things growing alongside our new house. Can anyone tell us what this is? It's right in our front flower bed, by the front door. Right now it just looks like a big spiraling mess. If I trim it, will it develop nicely or flower into anything pretty? Could it be relocated elsewhere on the property?
[img]https://i40.tinypic.com/9bezar.jpg[/img]

Secondly, by looking at this, would anyone be able to tell me how old this grape vine might be? I am a 5' tall human, for size reference. Do you think we can expect grapes on this in the coming months?
[img]https://i43.tinypic.com/2nqe1sm.jpg[/img]

lorax
Greener Thumb

I can't help you on the first plant (although something in the back of my mind is saying "clematis"). However, your grape is probably between 3 and 5 years old, and you will likely see fruit this year. Maybe give it a bit of molasses.

WildcatNurseryman

The first is Wintercreeper Euonymus (Euonymus fortunei). I would rip it out ASAP. It is an invasive weed, and is known more for it's collection of scale(bug) than it is for any redeeming quality. We did an experiment to try to rid the UK Arboreum of this plant, and used herbicide, tarps, petrolium, physical removal and the only plot that showed ZERO signs of regrowth was the one we used all methods on. Needless to say it is invading the forests and creek-banks in the state. I agree with Lorax on the grape. I'd say 4 or 5.

Lianne

well geeze, that is frightening! it looks like the previous owners even inserted some sort of stick in the middle to help it along like they were encouraging it to grow! yikes... we're working on the yard these next two weekends, and hopefully will get it taken care of.

WildcatNurseryman

The previous owner very well may have staked the plant, or it could be a slightly different cultivar from a nursery that arrived staked. Either way it is a plant I would rid myself of. Euonymus, in general, are not the greatest plants. Good luck with your garden.

Lianne

whew! we removed as much of it as we could today! the whole flowerbed (pretty large) in the front was totally weed ridden, and that vine/creeper's roots were all over the place. Might go back for a second look tomorrow and try to clean up the smaller pieces of roots we may have missed today, but for the most part, we stripped the majority of the bed, creeper included, and are starting from square one. we left three larger ferms (two about 2' wide and one about 3.5' wide), simply because they're the only things left in the front yard that are alive, green and NOT weeds. :roll:

WildcatNurseryman

Good job. That is how I start a landscape job. I'd wait until mid-spring and see if anything resprouts. Taking a tiller through the bed is also a good idea. If the ferns are in weedy areas I would also remove those, inspect their root-ball while they are out and remove any weeds, divide if needed and replant after the tilling. Wouldn't be a bad time to add some compost and give the bed a final till before replanting the ferns as well. If you have any edging (removed soil) along the concrete walk or at the bed-edge I always toss that into the bed before that last till too. Nows the time to make yourself some good growing soil.

Lianne

thanks for all the great advice, yall! we are excited about having our first yard and want to take care of it the best we can. I will definitely try to get some compost worked into the beds in the next few weeks, before we start planting :)

Return to “Plant Identification”