Carolept
Newly Registered

What is this: Please help

This plant was a gift from a friend who got it from her mother. It is doing terrific, and would like to know what it is so I can get some more. It is slow multiplying, and need quite a few for a particular area. Thanks, Carole
[img]https://img824.imageshack.us/img824/259/dscn0449t.jpg[/img]
Shot at 2012-02-05

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Since no one has come up with anything, can you give us a few more clues? Do you know if it is annual or perennial? Do you know what the flowers look like?

The leaves look kind of petunia-ish, but it could be lots of things. It will be a lot easier to identify once it flowers.

Carolept
Newly Registered

Additional information: This plant is green 12 months per year here in New Bern, N.C. It has been in its present location for three years, with full morning sun, afternoon shade. I believe it has a tall shoot with a red flower in mid to late summer. It looks very healthy, however is very slow to spread.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Carole

applestar
Mod

It's not some kind of a hosta? How big are these leaves?

JONA878
Greener Thumb

H.undulata would fit the bill.

Carolept
Newly Registered

I have well over 50 Hostas in at least 15 varieties. We have a lot of shade. The picture is a close up to accurately show the leaf, however it is deceiving as to size. The leaves are quite small, 2" long by 1" wide for the mature ones. There is no white edging, the leaves when mature are solid green. Also, all of my hostas die back in the fall, this little guy just keeps on going, which is why I'd like to get some more, for winter color.

Thanks,
Carole

WildcatNurseryman

My guess is cast iron plant- Aspidistrae.

Return to “Plant Identification”