tsoumilas
Newly Registered

Can someone please help identify this plant?

This plant was given to us during my son's Funeral. I see it is a pretty common plant but I have no idea what it is? It has bugs, that seem to be fruit flies and it also isn't growing so great.

[img]https://microsymplex.s3.amazonaws.com/plant.JPG[/img]
-Theo

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Welcome! Please accept my deepest condolences on the loss of your son. I can only imagine the terrible agony I would feel if I were to lose my son. My warmest thoughts are with you.

Your plant kinda looks like it might be a Spathiphyllum (also known as Peace Plant, Peace Lily, and a few other common names), but I can't really see the shape of the leaf well enough due to the angle of the photo (and my very old eyes ... :roll: ). Could you post another pic that shows the leaf straight on, so the shape is clearer? Did it have flowers, and if so, can you describe them?

The plant might also be some species of philodendron, but the leaf shape is important in order to make the differentiation.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. :( Perhaps another member will be able to ID it on sight. :)
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

If the flower is white then it is a peace lily whcih is generally found at funerals. Sorry to hear about your son. It must be difficult for parents to bury their children.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I forgot to mention that the insects are fungus gnats, not fruit flies. They feed on decaying material in the soil. Their presence in a container of soil usually indicates that the soil is being kept too damp ... in other words, the plant is being overwatered.

Fungus gnat larvae live in the top inch or so of the soil. To prevent or get rid of the fungus gnats, allow the soil to become dry to the touch down to a depth of 1 inch below the surface. (If the container is 10 inches or more in diameter, measured across the top, you can allow the soil to dry to a depth of 2 inches.) Just dig down into the soil with a fingertip to test the dryness, before you water the plant.

There are other methods of getting rid of fungus gnats, although I personally have had little success with them. I'm sure they will be offered here, which will give you an opportunity to try them for yourself.

Although Peace Lilies will tolerate damper soil than many other plants will, it's still possible to overwater them. Too much dampness can cause the roots to rot. It's concievible that that could be the reason the plant is doing poorly.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

garudamon11

Hello, Im sorry to hear about your son...

The plant you have is most definetly a peace lily, I have one in my home, you should keep it away from direct sunlight, it likes alot of indirect sunshine but not direct sun.

Return to “Plant Identification”