yonnielovesveggies
Cool Member

Please someone tell me what this is...

Hi folks

I tried posting this on the succulent/cactus forum to no avail. I thought I might try here. So, here goes:

Hi all

I just got this plant on the side of the road yesterday. The man said it required no sun, no ventilation, watering just once every 2 weeks - and just a Chinese rice bowl amount, no repotting, and no plant food or fertilizer of any sort.

That's not the first time someone has told me that in China.. so I'm just checking with you guys. What is this?

[img]https://www.flickr.com/photos/richandyon/6167490567/[/img]

[img]https://www.flickr.com/photos/richandyon/6167490567/[/img]

Also I'm concerned about the fact that the plant is growing on a slant, I mean, at an angle. If I let this continue, it might eventually topple over. Any ideas how to remedy this?

Thankyou for any advice!

Yonnie

lorax
Greener Thumb

That's Euphorbia trigona. I wouldn't buy the "no sun" thing - they're normally planted in full sun here. I'd also fertilize occasionally and repot every 5 years or so.

In terms of the slanting, the best thing is to get out your nice big leather glove and carefully repot the plant in such a way that its new angle is straighter. After that, care for it as you would a cactus or tough succulent.

yonnielovesveggies
Cool Member

Lorax!

Thank you SO SO much!

There I was thinking it was some weird Chinese plant that no one would know about.

Is there a trick for how to repot the fellow? Is he particularly sensitive at all? I've never successfully kept a cactus before so I confess I'm totally new to this.

Gratefully,
Yonnie

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Cacti and what lorax refers to as "tough" succulents are usually repotted dry. IOW, let the soil dry for a few days to a week before repotting, and don't water for about the same length of time afterward.

lorax
Greener Thumb

Yonnie, Kisal is dead on about dry-soil repotting. Let the soil dry until you don't detect any moisture at all when you stick your finger right down deep, then take the plant outside, and (this is where the tough glove comes in), gently grab it by the base with one hand and use the other to tip it out of the pot. It should come out no problem. Then just set it gently into the new pot and at the right angle.

I can't recall whether garden places in China sell "cactus mix" but ideally what you want is something that's about 50% sand, 25% bark chips, and 25% potting soil.

After that, leave it dry for a couple of weeks as suggested.

Euphorbias are pretty tough plants (they're in what I'd call a "tough succulent" - they're not true cacti but in fact are the spurge family) and are generally quite difficult to kill unless you overwater them severely (which I'm sure you won't do). They're pretty ideal for people who haven't kept houseplants before, actually.

The only part of E. trigona that's sensitive during the repotting process is the leaves - they're prone to snapping off. Be cautious of the latex that the plant exudes; some people have a contact-dermatitis reaction to it that ranges from mild itchiness to severe burns. It washes off with water though.

yonnielovesveggies
Cool Member

thanks for the response Lorax. A daunting task that involves another search for something not readily available around here - leather gloves... that will teach me to go and buy wonky plants that are spiky too.

Tilde
Green Thumb

why buy? A glove is handy but not if you don't have one or need one on a regular basis.

What about a thick towel?

Return to “Plant Identification”