pinksand
Greener Thumb

Arborvitae or Cypress?

I was encouraged to buy this plant despite it getting larger than the space allows because "you can always prune it!" I've learned a lot since then and now I'm thinking it might be the time to move this guy before he gets too large (in the ground 2 years). I just can't remember specifically what it is, just how large it's going to get, and what soil conditions it prefers in order to plan a new spot for it.

Is it a variety of arborvitae or cypress?

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Looks like cypress to me.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Any idea how/if I can determine which variety so I can figure out how large it's going to get?

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I have arborvitaes and they don't look like your tree. There are so many different kinds making it hard. Here are some descriptions that I found:

Thuja:
Branches are flattened in one plane. Juvenile leaves are awl-like, while mature leaves are scale-like; leaves are always opposite. Scale-like leaves sometimes have a raised gland on the back.

Leyland cypress:
Leaves of this plant have branchlets that are flattened and tend to twist or spiral.

Leyland Cypress gets big. The golden coloring of your tree makes me think that it is a cyoress. But I could be wrong.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

It might even be a cedar. I don't know but my instincts tell me that it's going to get big. It sure is beautiful.

LIcenter

Looks like Leyland Cypress to me. Once they get established they take off like a rocket. It's not unusual to see 20 inches of growth in one season. Also it is not a structurally sound tree, so beware as to where it is planted.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Thank you both! I wish I'd known more when I originally purchased it, but I actually don't think it was even labeled because I remember asking a nursery employee what it was. I don't think he knew but he said he had one and that it would get big but I could always trim it to keep it small. When he said "big" I was thinking 10', not 35'!!!

The Leyland Cypress looks about right from the photos I found online. llcenter, by "not structurally sound" what do you mean exactly? Are the branches likely to break or are the roots shallow and they tend to fall in a storm?

The only spot I can think of where it would work is on a slope where I'd like to replace some RoS. It looks like they recommend transplanting in Spring so I'll probably wait until then. It's a big plant to have to find a spot to relocate but it's really not going to work where it is now! I'd really like some privacy where the RoS currently are located though so if it can tolerate the slope it could be a really nice option for that spot.

LIcenter

What I meant was they don't take high winds very well, and can snap without warning when they get large. Also, wish I could remember where I read it, but they are now being attacked be some sort of bug due to the high volume of plantings that have been going on in the recent past. They do trim up nice though. I think they grow these down south to sell as Christmas trees, because they grow so fast, and can be pruned into a nice shape.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Thanks for the information Llcenter! I'll have to read up on leyland cypress pests.

Mr_bobo_

I would say Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Alumii Gold'
I am not 100% for variety but first latin name I am quite shore that's correct... ;)
Cheers !

LIcenter

I don't know bobo, that looks different to me. Hers flares out like a leyland would do, and yours is growing tight upright to the trunk. I do hope you are right tho, because yours is much more tame, and only grows a little over six feet tall.

Mr_bobo_

There is lot of varietes, Chamaechyparis is 100%

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Looking at photos of chamaecyparis leylandii 'gold rider', some look right and some look different. There are photos of chamaecyparis 'golden wonder' that look like a match as well...

Thanks for all of your help! I guess I won't truly know until it really starts to grow. I'll let you know in 5 years ;)

Mr_bobo_

Yes, they can be both :)
Well at least you know the first name now. ANd that one is the most important. :)
I hope it will grow well :)

Return to “Plant Identification”