Tilde
Green Thumb

Can I eat it? Can I plant the seeds? Can I ...

Okay ... been reading through the archives. :)

Can I eat it:

I had the back yard resod inexpensively and have a whole new crop of weeds growing ...

I've been pulling them and drowning them thus far ...

So I have GIANT palm trees in my yard that I'm not a fan of. I usually leave the fruit up ... is it edible?

I usually leave it for the snowbirds.

Can I plant the seeds of whatever tree this is? I had a baby version come up via the roots out of my neighbor's yard about fifteen feet away through my raised boxed beds a few years back - wondered if I could harvest the seed pods and make more of the trees ...

The flowers are white and droopy like a long skirt or sad trumpet :)

Here's the latest tree that gave me little baby trees - purple leaves on the underside, green on the top ....

john gault
Green Thumb

That third pic reminds me of some type of date palm trees (I think, still trying to ID) that are across the street from me. I really want to cut them dates down for my compost pile. Thinking about asking the person that lives there; she's not the owner, just moved in. She actually may know since she seems to really be into plants, specifically container plants.

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

the fruit on the palm tree, can you take it in to a master gardener site or extention office, they could tell you for sure. If it is a date then you could certainly eat it, if it is not then they could probably be turned into palm oil. Obviously it is not a coconut palm. If it is a date palm great, if not you could always get rid of it.
As for the weeds in the lawn, if you really want grass get rid of them now, but first check to see if they are developing long tap roots, if they are, they are in the dandelion family which is edible, but hard to get rid of, if you let them stay they you will constantly have to dead head them before they go to seed, way to much work.
You can always plant seed, the question is always is it viable. Some plants grow sterile seed, and some plants do not grow true from seed. The only way to know what you will get is to plant some in a large pot and see what happens.

Tilde
Green Thumb

Hrm, planting weeds, maybe I'll just let the guy mow them and they can areate the lawn.

Found this, need to search all the names for all the pix ...

https://www.plantapalm.com/vpe/ethnobotany/EdiblePalms.PDF

I don't know if our extension office has weekday hours - I'll have to check. thanks for the tip!

Return to “Plant Identification”