Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I have everything to build this.

I have 34 windows enough to build a green house 2 times bigger than this picture. I have 2 doors, roof, several 4x8 sheets of Styrofoam insulation 2" thick. No place to build it in my yard until I get several of these trees cut down. I have decided I really have no use for a green house so it is for sale $400 on Craigslist. Crazy thing AD says, material to build your own but everyone thinks it is already built then wonder how will it be moved to their house. When they finally realize they have to build it that is the deal breaker. No one can build something this easy? I think I can built this in about 6 hours work. When garden is gone I might cut trees myself let them fall in garden then burn them. I refuse to pay $27,000. to have a few trees cut. I think trees stay and green house goes.
Attachments
5-greenhouse_28.jpg
100_7105.JPG
100_7106.JPG
100_7107.JPG

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Gary: Meet me on No Man's Land at the Peace Arch and I'll get those windows from you. It's a nice long drive; you'll see a lot of country and get away from the heat. :() . But you'll have to wear your mask and you can't come in.

Just kidding but if you were closer I'd grab the windows and have a nice greenhouse in no time. My 'plastic brackets, 2x2s and vapor barrier' affair is looking a bit sad.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

WHAT is everyone using YOUR green house for?

I can't think of a good reason to have a green house?

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Gary350 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:38 am

Weather protection with daylight.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Vanisle_BC wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:38 am
Gary350 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:38 am

Weather protection with daylight.
Green house might be fun on a cold winter day to set inside a warm green house in lawn chairs and enjoy the nice sunny weather. LOL.... Only problem 6 months of winter rain is over cast almost every day there is no sun.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Sitting inside your greenhouse when it's cold outside is very nice. Very peaceful, give it a try. 😉

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

TomatoNut95 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:58 pm
Sitting inside your greenhouse when it's cold outside is very nice. Very peaceful, give it a try. 😉
Seedlings like it even more

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I use to want to grow vegetables all winter in a green house but now I realize it will need to be heated all winter to grow tomatoes and some other crops. Cost of heating will make tomatoes cost $10 each. Pantry tomatoes in jars will have to do for winter.

Last year I planted garlic in a small 2'x6' green house plants all died. Even though we get 6 months of rain in winter soil inside tiny green house was very dry. Weeds & grass grew better than garlic. Green house needs irrigation inside. I tried winter carrots they don't grow either.

Can't grow, corn, potatoes, beans, peppers, in a green house those are seeds I plant directly in the garden.

I tried growing winter crops like, lettuce, kale, broccoli, cabbage, chard in a tiny 2' wide green house they grow much better if I toss seeds into the yard.

Anything grown from small seeds grows best in 2 gallon pots setting in the yard at the edge of the garden. Mother nature waters them every day.

Every crop is a new learning experience. Several plants are not suited for our weather. There are several things I would like to grow but they are things we don't eat often and they have very low food value. 2 broccoli heads on kitchen table every week all winter would be great but not sure green house is worth having just for broccoli. I tried broccoli in a tiny 2' square green house it does not grow in cold weather it just setting there waiting for warm spring weather then bugs eat it.

It will be a FUN project to build a green house but if we don't use it then why have it.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

You are 100% correct, a greenhouse is pointless unless heated through the winter. If it's sunny, you don't have to worry about keeping a heater running through the daytime but mainly at night is when heat is vital. I also have three sheets of insulation foam boards I put over the greenhouse to hold in the heat at night.

The reason I have not grown tomatoes through the winter months is because since my greenhouse isn't a permanent building and just a cheap plastic thing I have to be careful with it. The more I use it, the quicker it wears out. I want a regular building, bad, but they're too costly for me.

Plus, notice that the majority of walk-in greenhouses do not have a back door? That is so retarded, I cannot stand not having a back door.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

TomatoNut95 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:49 am
Plus, notice that the majority of walk-in greenhouses do not have a back door? That is so retarded, I cannot stand not having a back door.
I built an 8'x8' green house 40 years ago with 1 door it was 180 degrees F inside in summer with the door open, that is how I learned GH needs 2 doors, I built it so door was on the up wind side to hold heat better in winter. I grew tomatoes when frost came day after day tomatoes were good. The first light freeze 31 degrees tomatoes still did good but the next freeze killed plants dead. Grass & weeds were 2 ft tall in green house by last frost about April 20 .

imafan26
Mod

A traditional greenhouse would not work very well, it would need air conditioning. Hoop houses and shade houses are useful to help keep out insects and and provide shade and a poly carbonate roof helps keep out the rain as well. I'd like to put a frame over my garden someday to be able to do overhead trellising and maybe do some bird and insect netting, but that is along the lines of a pipe dream for me. (pun intended). I do have shade cloth over my orchid benches and I can use acrylic sheets over the top to keep out some of the rain.

I would not really have enough space to even put up a small greenhouse and a small greenhouse would not have enough space to meet my needs.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:26 pm
A traditional greenhouse would not work very well, it would need air conditioning. Hoop houses and shade houses are useful to help keep out insects and and provide shade and a poly carbonate roof helps keep out the rain as well. I'd like to put a frame over my garden someday to be able to do overhead trellising and maybe do some bird and insect netting, but that is along the lines of a pipe dream for me. (pun intended). I do have shade cloth over my orchid benches and I can use acrylic sheets over the top to keep out some of the rain.

I would not really have enough space to even put up a small greenhouse and a small greenhouse would not have enough space to meet my needs.
You're right, when you have a big greenhouse you need a source of ventilation. In small greenhouses a box fan would work. People are strange for not having two doors in a walk-in greenhouse, I opened both doors on my old ones to provide adequate airflow. No airflow when it's rainy and humid causes mold to form, and powdery mildew on the plants. Air flow is just as important as heating at nighttime. Having wind blowing across your plants is also vital to help promote strong stems. My plants will get leggy in my greenhouse quick, especially tomatoes. They say to run your hand across the tops of your plants to substitute a breeze.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Wife had TV on when a show about green houses came on. They showed several people using green houses for weather control. One person said, it was 80 degrees and plants were doing good then next day it snowed and killed all the plants. Now they use their green house to keep snow of their plants. Another person said, during monsoon season it rains none stop every day the rain beats their plants to death & a green house protects plants from rain. Another person painted rocks black the rocks picked up heat from the sun and kept green house warmer at night. Another person dug a cellar then put a glass roof over the cellar, sun warmed it up during the day and earth soil temperature keeps it from freezing at night. Interesting but I still have no clue what to use a green house for in my geographical location for plants I want to grow. It makes no sense to use a green house to grow, corn, peppers, potatoes, beans, potatoes. Our spring weather goes from freezing to 90 degrees in about 6 weeks not enough time to grow very much, broccoli won't grew in cold weather it just sets there waiting for warmer weather. I can plant turnip greens in the garden it does not need a green house. Garlic is good down to 5 degrees F it needs no green house. Chard, fennel, spinach, good down to 10 degrees, Beets, leeks, carrots, 12 degrees, cilantro, kale, parsley 15 deg. Lettuce 20 deg. Napa, onions, Boc choy, 25 deg. Cabbage 27 deg. Broccoli 28 deg. Garlic & carrots don't need a green house it seldom gets below 15 here and if it gets colder plants will die anyway with no heat system at night.

35 years ago I knew someone that had a sliding patio door on south side of their house they built a 20 ft green house over the patio door. In winter green house made enough heat during the day to warm up their house then at night their house heat kept the green house from getting below 50 deg.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Try growing some potted vegetables such as tomatoes or peppers though the winter in the greenhouse. But you will need a heat source, greenhouses are pointless through the winter without heat.

There's a family that lives in a house at the end of my road that has a small, wooden framed, walk-in greenhouse but as far as I know they don't put a heater in it; don't think their stuff survived last winter. As for ventilation, the greenhouse is a dud all it has is front door and a small window on back wall. If people who build greenhouses are smart, they should have plenty of ventilation ways. Heat rises, so windows need to be high, or have slates on the roof that can be raised to let heat escape.

The current plastic greenhouse I own now is dumb. NO back door or window, only one large front door and as for windows there are two openable screens on each side at the BOTTOM of the greenhouse, how dumb can you get?? Heat rises and goes out the top, not sink and breeze out the bottom. I'd like a few unkind words with the person that designed that model of greenhouse.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I found information online that says, back yard green houses are used more as a hobby than to grow food. Not very encouraging.

I have an idea. I bought 5 new lights for my work shop they are $65 each industrial LED lights from Amazon. Lights claim to be real daylight & used for grow lights too. Lights are 120 volts, 1.2 amps, 150 watts, 21500. Lumins. It only cost a few cents to leave the light on all night. The whole light weights about 3 lbs and hangs from the ceiling on a hook. 1 light in a small green house will be like the sun. You can see 3 or the 5 lights in my shop on the 12 ft high ceiling. Lights don't produce very much heat.
Attachments
100_7837.JPG

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”