blessedwife
Newly Registered

Starting Dahlias in greenhouse

We have an area in the sunny location that is about 50X10 feet long that we want to use for planting flowers. The bed is already cleared and although it is mostly clay, we will bring several truckloads of topsoil for it.

According to Almanac, I should not plant dahlias in the ground until the first week of May. Since I have a greenhouse, I was wondering if dahlias can be started in the greenhouse and then carefully be transferred to the garden when weather permits. Is this a good idea? Can someone point me in the right direction about dos and don'ts?

Thanks in advance ya'll!

Mr green
Green Thumb

You can start them in pots inside at first, they wont need much light to begin with, then put them in the greenhouse 2weeks earlier. Unless you have a hoophouse with thin plastic, then one week earlier than recomended outside would be safest. Depends also what temperature you might get at night in the greenhouse, or if you have a frostguard for example. I'm not sure how cold your Zone 5b is. But generally one would say 1week gained per layer of protection.

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”