rawler
Newly Registered

Wondering about Plastic Containers?

Hey guys/gals;

Long time lurker first time poster, I have a fairly large hobby greenhouse plumbed and ready to go. But one of my longest lasting problems since I got started in the green housing of my seedlings is that the buckets and containers I used always get crumbly after a while. I must have tossed about 10 large totes in the garbage due to this problem.

I assume its the high temp mixed with the UV that dries out the plastic, but is there anything you guys use that doesn't do this over time?

Thanks
Rawler

imafan26
Mod

Not really.
Even the garden pots break down or the roots break through. There are some UV resistant plastic that takes a while longer, but it is hard to find UV and food safe in the same product.
I have the same problem too. I just had a couple of 5 gallon buckets and a couple of garden pots (commercial kind) crumble on the way to the garbage can. I did make good use of them though they both lasted a few years.

The thicker plastic lasts longer especially if you can keep it out of the sun. The 55 gallon drums I get from the shoyu company is very thick. I use it for water barrels but I have cut a few in half to use as planters. That has lasted longer than muck buckets that will only last 2-3 years.

The other problem with plastic is heat. I have more than a few pots that have had partial meltdowns and deformities because of heat. Terra cotta lasts until I drop them or the plants crack the pots. Wire baskets rust, plastic basket handles break and the basket gets brittle, wooden baskets especially the fir baskets just fall apart.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I have some fiberglass planters. They are durable. I don't have them in a greenhouse. I keep them outside. I prefer the fiberglass planters over plastic.

Allyn
Green Thumb

The sun here is really intense in the summer. So far, I've had some luck painting the outside of the plastic buckets with exterior-grade paint. If I keep the sun from touching the plastic, it seems to last longer. I don't know yet if it is worth the trouble for the extra cost of the paint since the buckets are inexpensive (or free, which really fits my budget).

imafan26
Mod

I started using resin planters but I still have problems with them cracking from impact. While they are light and can be decorative, I haven't used them long enough to tell if it is more uv resistant. They also rarely come with holes. In fact, I have been noticing lately hardly any pots come with holes and I was looking for hanging baskets and all I could find was the self killing kind.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

The black and dark green pots used in nurseries have held up well for me. But then I'm in the frozen north which has cloudy skies for 3 months of the year.

imafan26
Mod

The closer you get to the equator, things break down faster. I keep my pots covered under tarps when not in use so they last longer that way. Even in a storage shed they melt down and glue together. If pots are grouped, the pots in the middle last a bit longer and they also last longer if they are buried.

rawler
Newly Registered

Well luckily all the way up in sunny and warm British Columbia Canada..... guess I have nothing to really complain about.....

Thanks a lot for the info all!

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”