rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

thinking about greenhouse ideas

OK, so I've always kind of resisted greenhouses, but now I have the perfect spot for one:
IMG_0636.JPG
IMG_0636.JPG (57.14 KiB) Viewed 10982 times
That's the garage wall. It faces south. Unfortunately since the garage is on the south end, the house has ZERO south facing windows (sigh...).

But I was thinking it would be perfect for some kind of lean-to greenhouse:

With the door from the garage open, it could even donate some heat to the garage. Actually I would love to also have a window in that wall. Anybody have any idea how hard/ expensive it would be to knock a window into a brick wall?

And of course the greenhouse would have to be inexpensive, probably DIY (I see greenhouses for thousands of dollars - doesn't fit my retirement budget!) If it could be easy to put up and knock down, that would be perfect, but if it had to be permanent, that would be ok.

ideas for how to do this?

Rairdog
Green Thumb

I have put a few windows/doors in brick and block walls and I always dreaded it. I can be cut out with a gas powered diamond saw....I sold mine so I could avoid those jobs. It can be toothed in to match existing windows and doors with faced brick and would need a steel lintel to support the top. It's a lot of cutting and air/elec. chisel work and it would be hard to match existing brick.

If it were me, I would take out a section from ground to wood plate( where the upper wood framing starts). I would infill the area with wood framing. At that point you could add windows, french door, sliding glass doors etc... I would side and trim it out to match existing areas or upper wood board and batten.

I would call a few sun-room contractors and get some FREE estimates which will give you some ideas. Don't let them pressure you into a sale. Check with neighbors and church friends etc.. for some reliable contractors that have done room additions, decks and porches. It can be done much cheaper with wood framing and polycarbonate panels than an aluminum kit like your pic.

Garage walk doors are rarely used so you might fall back on some pavers and placing it over the door. It would retain more heat with the brick in tack. You could make it easily removable or expandable if you decide you want windows later. It might be best to get a few seasons in and figure out how much use it will get and what the climate cycles are like inside. I bet you could get a 50f rise on a sunny day in that location but will it hold over night.

I still have celery pumping out in my lean-to. If I new it was going to be this mild it would have cabbage and others brassicas growing. I think starting plants in the GH produces much better than under lights if you can tackle the heating cheaply. It makes a nice place to work when it's 70-80 inside and it's 40 outside with snow on the ground.

Have a seat and relax!

I just went out and took a pic of the Christmas lights for you.

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”