RobinM

Asiatic Lillies Help Please

Hi All. I may need to post this in another forum. Please let me know if I do. I have a few very large lily clumps that are in desperate need of dividing. But here's my dilemma. I'm going to have knee surgery in a few weeks and with my current injury, I'm not able to dig a new bed for them once I lift them out. I thought about maybe dividing them and putting them in pots and sitting them in the hobby house overwinter and then this spring, once I'm healed enough to work in the yard, either replant them then or give some away (probably both). Will they last like that? What would be the best way to go about this?

Thank you in advance to all you smart gardeners out there!

Robin

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Hi Robin,

Sounds like a plan. Don't over crowd the plants.

Another option is to dig your bulbs. Set them on newspaper to dry for a week then transfer them to a porous bag. Old hosiery, an onion sack - the mesh kind not the plastic, a mesh laundry bag, a burlap sack. Store in a dark, cool place over winter then plant after the last spring frost.

Good luck.

:()

RobinM

Thanks Elizabeth! After digging them up, I found I hit the mother-load! Wow lol. I potted some of the bigger ones and am currently using your idea on the smaller ones and the ones that were lose (no foliage). Took me all day haha! My boyfriend said I must be the lily whisperer! These started as 2 bulbs, 3 years ago!
Attachments
image.jpg

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”