RobinM

Hobby House and Baby Crape Myrtles

Hi All. I haven't been here in awhile. Hope you are all doing well and enjoying your gardening! I recently bought a 6 x 4 x 7 hobby house/green house. I'm still not sure how to use it but I figure it will be a learning process. Over this summer, I have rooted 8 crepe myrtles. They are all between 8" and 12" tall. They are doing great on my back deck for the time being but it won't be long before the temps start dropping. So my question is, can I just stick these in the Hobby House once the temps start getting cool this fall? Since they are so small, will the winter cold kill them? I'm in zone 8a. Our winters are usually mild, however, once in awhile we get a really cold one. Last year we dropped down to 6 degrees and it lasted for about 2 days. Any advise?

Added a bit of info on the hobby house:
-6x4x7 Palram Hobby House
-Automatic vented ceiling panel
-adding a small misting system but its not automatic.
-it's being set up in an area that gets full sun from about 8:00 a.m. until 6:30 p.m.

***It's not put together yet. We are working on it and it will be up before fall.

Thanks, Robin

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Hi Robin,

Welcome back.

How large are your containers?

If they are in only 1 gallon containers I would bring them in before a hard freeze. Other than that leave them out. Maybe pot them up to a larger container.

Good luck

When you get your Hobby House erected post pictures.

RobinM

Hi ElizabethB. Thanks for the comment. So by "bring them in" do you mean into the house, or into the Hobby House? I wonder if it would be better to just go ahead and plant them. I can dig them back up this spring and move them somewhere else when I decide what to do with them.

I am just looking for an excuse to use the new hobby house haha. I'd rather not kill the baby trees though. :D

RobinM

As requested! Hobby House is up! We still have to add shelves but it's up at least!
Attachments
My 2 main men
My 2 main men

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”