shelleyinmichigan
Cool Member

Recycling a commercial greenhouse........help!!

2.jpg
Many decades ago my uncle salvaged this frame from a commercial greenhouse. It was passed on to my dad who has now bequeathed it to me. We laid out the pipe supports and figured out how they went together but we are stumped by some of the other parts. We are hoping that someone has had experience with this type of setup and can give us some clue as to what they are and how we are supposed to use them.
3.jpg
The frame sits on and is screwed into a basic wood frame of 2X8s.
8.jpg
Metal brackets.
7.jpg
7.jpg (25.68 KiB) Viewed 10871 times
Clamps (nut and bolt fasteners) and a welded double ring that we think slips over the supports and is meant to hold a length of pipe to hang plants from.
5.jpg
5.jpg (38.42 KiB) Viewed 10871 times
These rings slip on over the pipe and have holes in them............but we don't know for what.
9.jpg
9.jpg (39.06 KiB) Viewed 10871 times
These parts were somewhat concerning due to the amount of duct tape and what appears to be some sort of tar wrapped around them.

meshmouse

shelleyinmichigan -

Since no one else has chimed in yet, I'll share what I can deduce.

From the first pic (titled 2.jpg), it looks like you have a straight wall with a curved angle that would logically result in a (more or less) 'gable' roof. It would look like a simple kid's drawing of a house (albeit with rounded joints of wall to roof). There are several different ways this could be completed, but I would need to see all the parts to better understand.

I think that Pic 2 (3.jpg) shows the piece in its proper use structurally. Attaching outer corners to 2x whatever base. Are there only four of these?

Pic three (8.jpg) shows the equivalent for running along a wall to the base (not a corner) attaching wall pipe to the same 2x whatever base.

Pic 4 (7.jpg) shows first, the perpendicular rings that would attach the upward wall (or roof) pipes to the crossing wall (or roof) pipes that would add structure and rigidity. Second, the pic shows basic strapping ties that would be used in more flexible situations.

Pic 5 (5.jpg) I'm not very sure of yet, but it might have something to do with the next pic.

Pic 6 (9.jpg) looks like the flattened end could be secured with the piece in Pic 5. Probably as a cross-strut (at a 45 degree angle), again, for structrural strength and rigidity (particularly at the corners).

I would look for residue of the tape and the tar on other parts to lend a clue. Tar and tape are often used to waterproof or secure fittings.

It would be helpful to see a pic of each different part with a note of how many there are of each one. It's very possible that a piece or two got lost in the shuffle, or glommed for another use, but hopefully most of it is there intact.

These are just thoughts and suggestions, nothing concrete. Maybe others can add more.

meshmouse

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”