Sparky617

Progress update...and more questions

Hey everyone, I've managed to frame out the new greenhouse, I'm wondering if I should cover it in clear poly panels or the Opaque ones.....here are some pics taken at about 5:15pm. I am on th coast in zone 10A... only reason I'm asking is because I put my pepper sprouts in the sun for the day while I went to work.. the Peruvian White habanero's seemed to have loved it... my Aji Limo spouts all went limp and hit the dirt :(
This is the south wall looking north, the dark fence will be covered with Plywood and painted white to reflect more light and absorb less heat.

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

I am up north of you and I used glazed panels, you could also consider getting shade cloth for part if that is what you think you need. Check and see what is available and what their ratings are as well as what temperatures they can take. I assume that you have factored in vents or fan-venting, if not you should rethink your design before you go any further.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

CharlieBear wrote:I am up north of you and I used glazed panels, you could also consider getting shade cloth for part if that is what you think you need. Check and see what is available and what their ratings are as well as what temperatures they can take. I assume that you have factored in vents or fan-venting, if not you should rethink your design before you go any further.
X2 about ventilation. You could wrap the lower front section with screen then put removable polycarbonite panels over it. Then the lower panels could be removed in summer and the bugs can't get in. Combine this with some roof hatches or upper back wall hatches. I can gian up to 50 deg with my GH. When its 80f and both ends are open I can barely keep it around 90. This is combined with shade cloth that stays on from March until October and a big fan. You can check out my shade cloth at the end of the video below.

https://youtu.be/iJmhYOzS3fs

Sparky617

Oh ventilation has been thought of. The Greenhouse is a lean-to style so the north wall is 1ft-1.5ft higher due to the trapezoid footprint of fence line. That will be one long upper vent with closable/removable panels. The lower south wall will have one long vent with the same ability. In addition I have eight 150 cfm 12vdc fans that equal about 31 watts along with a 50 watt solar panel that will be tied to a thermostat to kick on if temps get higher than 85f

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”