Sparky617

What to seal pressure treated wood with?

Hey everyone,
I started building my greenhouse last weekend, and didn't even THINK about not using pressure treated wood for the frame. In my head I was thinking "build it like a fence". I'm only about 50% framed out, but now I'm torn between taking out the pressure treated 2x4s and re-framing with redwood. I hate to toss out $350 worth of pressure treated lumber....do you all think I could just paint it?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Oh yes. Don't throw out good wood! Pressure treated is not nearly as toxic these days as it used to be. Paint it or seal it with wood sealer and it should be fine.

Sparky617

Oh good. Do you think it's worth it to paint it white for more light reflection? We get a lot of overcast days here in the coast

Rairdog
Green Thumb

New pressure treated wood will not hold paint or stain very well due to the moisture content. It "should be dried out for a year". With a good summer baking I have got by with not waiting a year.

Sparky617

Yeah, I picked the lightest driest pieces of lumber that I could find. They're gonna get about 4 weeks sun baking before they get sealed, but my seedlings have sprouted and they need home.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Today's PT wood used copper as a preservative so it is not poisonous.

Farmerboy

Buy Tinfoil Duct Tape and wrap the wood with the Tape. The reflectorized surface of the tin foil tape will maximize light reflection inside the green house..

There are several different types of Chemicals used to pressure treat lumber, depending upon the intended use of the lumber. Some Chemicals are toxic, some are not. Each piece of pressure treated lumber is required to have a plastic tag stapled to the end with the codes for the type of chemicals used to treat that piece of lumber.

If the lumber has the codes ACQ, CA, SBX, or MBQ, they are safe to use in a green house or raised beds. Avoid all other codes as they will leach toxic chemicals.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Farmerboy wrote:Buy Tinfoil Duct Tape and wrap the wood with the Tape. The reflectorized surface of the tin foil tape will maximize light reflection inside the green house..

There are several different types of Chemicals used to pressure treat lumber, depending upon the intended use of the lumber. Some Chemicals are toxic, some are not. Each piece of pressure treated lumber is required to have a plastic tag stapled to the end with the codes for the type of chemicals used to treat that piece of lumber.

If the lumber has the codes ACQ, CA, SBX, or MBQ, they are safe to use in a green house or raised beds. Avoid all other codes as they will leach toxic chemicals.
Good to know, all the wood I have got has that on it, I talked to a person at a home show who represented PT wood and he said that all the stuff you get form the places like Home Depot are safe and made with copper. I know a person who made a house on a lake using telephone poles, I thought that may not be a good thing.

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”