Sparky617

Here's my basic plan, zone 10A

Hey everyone,
I've drawn up my plans, I know my lay out, my 50 watt solar panel, and eight 150cfm fans are on the way. I've noodled over where to place the fans to create the air flow I think I need; as well as, how to control the air flow for the 15ft long vent at the peak of the roof. I'm not sure if I should invest in some 6mm double wall polycarbonate panels or if basic singe wall from Home Depot will do the trick. I'm in climate zone 10A and rarely ever get freezing temps, but do get a lot of fog and coastal over cast.

Here's a pic of my basic plan, the grids are to scale (one square= 1sqft) I know it's a funky shape, but thats the shape of my lot. The North and West walls are up against a 7ft fence, the north wall is 9ft high and will house the high point vent. What do you all think? I'm all for input from people who have done this before.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know a lot about greenhouses, but I will get things started and hopefully more will join in.

It would help if you put your location in your profile, though you did tell us about your zone and weather. I went back and looked for your first post where you said you are at Half Moon Bay. That's near San Diego, CA, isn't it?

So as you said, being on the coast with cool and fog as you said, your need for greenhouse, unlike a lot of the rest of us, is to give a bit more summer warmth as well as a little winter protection. You should be able to garden year around in your greenhouse (nice!).

Having the north wall up against a fence is not so bad, gives a little extra winter protection and doesn't cut down the light that much. Having the west wall up against the fence is problematic, will cut out a lot of afternoon sun. Is there also fence on the south side? That would be very bad.

The seven shaped thing is the bench inside the green house and the whole trapezoid or whatever is the greenhouse, right? Your picture doesn't enlarge for me, so I can't read the numbers to know anything about the size of this construction. If you can't do anything about the west fence and you have size to spare, perhaps think about making it a few feet smaller to keep it away from the fence. The farther away from the fence you are, the less sun it blocks.

Good luck with your ambitious project! :) Keep us posted how it is all going.

Sparky617

Good morning Rainbowgardener, Thanks for the reply. I updated my profile with location. Half Moon Bay is actually much farther north than San Diego and is the home of the world famous big wave surfing spot called Maverics 8) . I am about 40 minutes north of Santa Cruz or 30 min south of San Francisco.

Yes, the "7" shape are the benches inside the green house, the north and west walls will be double decker shelves built with some 2x4s and sturdy wire fencing for maximum air flow, drainage, and minimal shading. Unfortunately my yard is only 20ft east to west, so I am stuck building up to the fence, but that's the area of the yard that gets the most sun possible. I will be painting the interior of the green house white for light reflection.....or maybe I should do mirrored walls on the north and west.....hmmmmm...
Here is my yard layout, you can see why I have to deal with the two fences. Image

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”