meshmouse

New Build: Corrugated Roof Horizontal or Perpendicular

Doing a new build greenhouse - 10 x 14. Mostly 2 x 2 wood with some found 2 x 6, 2 x 4 and 2 x 3s where most appropriate.

I've got SunTuf corrugated polycarbonate panels for the roof. I can install them horizontal or perpendicular.

I think the benefit of perpendicular would be that snow would more easily fall/melt off. It seems possible that if horizontal, the ridges could hold snow (blocking light and adding weight stress to the structure).

I think the benefit of horizontal would be that I could install them so they don't quite meet at the top and then cap with the available top caps. I think I could rig a way to easily install, uninstall them to help in summer ventilation.

Does anyone have any experience with this or thoughts relevant?

Thanks,

meshmouse

RedBeard1987

when using corrugated panels for roofing always have the lines going perpendicular to the ground(tubes of roofing running up and down) and the slope of the roof. the corrugation if for structural stability but also does a great job of channeling water and debris away from the roof. witch is exactly what a roof is supposed to do. keep water away from the structure its attached to. if you were to hang them the other way horizontal to the ground they would collect water, snow leaves and so on. this would block light and cause mildew and algae or fungus to grown on top of the roof also blocking light and rendering the greenhouse ineffective.

meshmouse

thanks RedBeard1987 -

Right in the nick of time. I was only hours away from install and while perpendicular was my original plan, I then overthought it to the point I was going to go horizontal because I could overlap the panels like a traditional roof, which I thought would be more surely dry.

But I'm gonna follow your advice and go perpendicular. Snow and leaves. I forgot about the leaves.

Thanks much

meshmouse

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”