sbloxy123
Newly Registered

How can I revive my plant

Hi,

I'm pretty sure I have posted this in the wrong section but couldn't find the right topic! Sorry for that!lol

I have a house plant that was looking a bit poorly so I moved it to a more sunlit room and am watering it more. The old flowers look like they are dying off but have new growth coming through now.

My question is, should I do anything to the old flowers which do have some life in them but look poorly?
I only have limited knowledge and am learning! Any help is much appreciated!!

Photos attached :)

Stuart
Attachments
IMG_2576.JPG
IMG_2575.JPG

imafan26
Mod

Its an anthurtium. Sterilize a shears or use a disposable blade. You can sterilize the pruners with a flame for about 20 seconds. Wait until the blade cools and cut the stem off. If you are using a torch with blue flame it will be the hottest. If you are using a candle flame, it is not as hot and it will leave soot on the pruner, don't wipe it off until after the first cut. Spray blade with rubbing alcohol and wipe with clean cloth between cuts.

Cut off stems at the base.

I also spray some pruning sealer into a paper cup and use a q-tip to apply the sealer to the cut ends.

The reason to do all of this is to reduce the problem with anthurium blight and fungal disease. The tulip type of anthurium you have is a modern one, the old collection anthuriums are much more susceptible to the disease which has no cure and will wipe out a collection.

Anthuriums are good houseplants since they have low light requirements and actually cannot tolerate direct sunlight. Bright light or a lighted shelf and good air circulation is all they need. The are aeroids and need their roots to be in the air, they like frequent misting of the roots but will rot if they sit in water. Feed with miracle grow 1/4 strength once a week. Spray the roots.
Once a week hose off the leaves to remove dust.

sbloxy123
Newly Registered

Thank you so much.

jessica_alinari
Newly Registered

Another useful advice is to keep in mind that Anthuriums thrive in warm climate. They need temperatures of 78 to 90 F during the day, but you should never position the plant in direct sunlight. Otherwise, its leaves and flowers may become scorched. Put the pot in a warm and well-lit room and every two weeks apply liquid fertiliser. Cut off any brown foliage and dead flowers. This will help the plant save energy and produce quickly new flowers.

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”