rkd17241
Newly Registered

Best place for getting a greenhouse

Hi all! Last spring I purchased a greenhouse from a farm store and I loved it. The problem is it is too small for what I need and the covering was a heavy plastic...which did not stand up well to the wind. I wanted to invest in a larger, better build greenhouse but not sure exactly where to go. I have searched and found some that I like but they are a couple thousand dollars. I want a decent size greenhouse at a decent price...is this realistic??

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Make a A frame with 2 by 4 s and put 6 mil plastic on it inside and out! Using 2 by 10s and 2 by 4 you can make a quick greenhouse 12 by 10 or bigger including the plastic for less than $100.. The 4 mill plastic can be used inside and out if you change it every other year. I take most of my plastic off in the summer and use the greenhouse for climbing crops over wire netting!. I don't like the bought greenhouse at all unless you plan on spending plenty! Insulate the north side and fill it with 50 gallon drums of water and you are set! I have 3 of them now. put a drain gutter on one side and collect water in a drum!

! I still have lettuce growing inside with no heat source other than stores water. The outside temp was down to zero but the lettuce is still alive even though the water has some ice in it. A few sunny days and the water will get warmer to about 40! The outside temp can be zero but on a sunny day its 100 inside and the water absorbes the heat fast with the metal or plastic dark colored drums!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

If you do not want to have to be changing the plastic film often (the summer sun kills it !), you will want UV-resistant plastic. I have bought that from this company several times:

FarmTek

You may as well look at the frames for coldframes, tunnels and greenhouses while you are there ;).

Steve

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Just got a Farm Tek catalog. Lots of nice things!

travisrobinson
Newly Registered

Buildmyowngreenhouse.com. We just bought a 12 foot hoop bender. I figure we will be into a 12x18 For 350 bucks. I have not decided how to build my end walls yet though.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Those last hoops over the end walls are important ones. How they are attached to the wall frames can be tricky, evidently. Google "end walls" and "hoop house" for images and you will see what people have come up with ;).

My hoop houses are simple things and are only up from mid-March to mid-June. Those final hoops are just tied onto the walls. The door and window frames are there all year.

Steve

Wack

Sometimes when I'm day dreaming about a bigger greenhouse, I like to look here. Besides the greenhouses which look really nice, I like the idea that it seems to be someone's business and not just resell situation from a chain or big internet site or whatever. No dis to resell situations from a chain or big internet site, I buy from them too, but I like to buy from smaller operations when possible too.

https://www.sbgreenhouse.com/

Wack

TXirislover
Newly Registered

Harbor Frieght has greenhouses that won't break the bank. I have not purchased any.
I have a garden shed that I am able to use two windows for sun purposes when I start pots with seeds. I have been successful. I have to keep them inside since we have a puppy and he loves to chomp on the plastic pots.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

I want a greenhouse pretty badly and have looked several places. Right now my notion is to go with one sold by Costco. Can't remember the brand name, but it has everything I want and is priced well below FarmTek and a couple of other greenhouse sellers on line. I would love to be able to build my own, but I also recognize I do not have the skills necessary. I can put together but would struggle to build.

imafan26
Mod

There are some good free plans on the internet. This was a good sized one and it was smartly built, by making the dimensions equal to the length and width of the panels, it saved a lot of cutting. I don't know about where you live but if a structure is bigger than 10x12 here, it requires a city permit as well as the setback from the property line.

Most of the materials for this greenhouse can be sourced locally.

https://ana-white.com/2012/05/plans/barn-greenhouse

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”