evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Using horticultural fleece?

Hi all

I am currently applying fleece over some trees to protect them from the next frost, which will be here in a few days. We received the wrong fleece (17gsm instead of 30gsm) but since the trees are under 10% shade cloth too we decided to use it.

How do you normally use the fleece though? We have blocks of bags about 1.2m by 4.5m and most are thorn trees. This is making it very difficult to lay the fleece over them. I thought of doing rounded 'tunnels' over them but that will take too long for this freeze.

In addition, how do you water with the fleece on? I am reticent to water through the fabric in case it doesn't dry in time for the evening frost. Not that we water every day but the frost could come early even if I plan the watering schedule. If I use tie to tie it on then e can't easily remove it.

We have about 8000 - 10000 trees to protect so this needs to be easy(ish).

applestar
Mod

Usually with any kind of cover in place, easiest way to water is by using soaker or sprinkler hose along the ground. Generally speaking, better to cover the hose with mulch. Old hose can be turned into sprinkler hose by poking nail holes at strategic intervals.

But once temp falls below freezing/hard freeze range, hose watering becomes impossible....

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Thanks. We can't use a soaker because the trees are in bags, not in the ground. They are being grown for later planting and selling. Drip irrigation is out right now because we already have a sprinkler system in place. Because of some problems with the sprinklers we are watering by hand but only early in the day to prevent waterlogging close to cold evenings when the water could potentially freeze.

The good news is that we only water once to twice a week so I suppose even though it's labour intensive we could have once side of the fleece lifted and water by hand under the fleece. I was trying to find an easier way though. Also even with lifting the thorns are such a problem, it may not work. If I were to build something it would need to be easily removable, cost effective and easy to put together.

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”