froggy127

Greenhouse Poduct review page ?

I was wondering if anyone else thinks that a product review page would be useful? In the last two years I have found some really good ones and some duds, Maybe if we shared our goods and bads it would help us all save a little money and make our greenhouses a little better.

Thoughts?

Pete

froggy127

One more question about a review page if it flies, Could we share a link to purchase them? Didn't know if this forum had rules about outside sales or advertising.

And if anyones wondering I am not selling anything.......well maybe a lot of plants this spring!

Pete

webmaster
Site Admin

Why not just talk about the greenhouses you liked, sort of liked, didn't like and not link? Most people buy greenhouses after they saw them so the websites aren't really relevant, right?

froggy127

I was thinking more like Greenhouse fabric repair tape, fans, Thermo switches , some of the stuff that comes in handy. But hey it was just an idea!

Pete

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't have a greenhouse, but I do have a pretty major seed starting operation. I get most of my supplies for that, cells, trays, pots, etc from greenhousemegastore.com I've been satisfied with them: low prices, decent product, very fast service.

froggy127

rainbowgardener wrote: I get most of my supplies for that, cells, trays, pots, etc from greenhousemegastore.com I've been satisfied with them: low prices, decent product, very fast service.
I will have to check them out!, I have bought most of my plastic, tape and trays etc from Farmtek and they have the best Plastic repair tape. Its kinda pricey at 35$ a 4" roll but this stuff will stick to just about anything! I seamed some plastic last summer and pulled a corner up and was able to reattach it.

Pete

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, I didn't quite say it, but even though I don't buy it, they carry greenhouses and a bunch of greenhouse supplies.

applestar
Mod

I don't know how but I somehow got on farmtek mailing list and get their catalog -- and drool over the pages :P Good to know they are worth it. That repair tape sounds like something to keep in mind. 8)

What about ventilation? You mentioned fans and thermocube electrical outlet adapters -- is that the way to go? I was always intrigued by solar attic and roof fans and was at one point looking at the ones sold for Mobil homes.... Last year, I bought a screened crawl space vent with thermal open/close to use with a coldframe design I was planning, but never got around to building it. It's on my list again this year.

I also got the freeze switch thermocube to operate incandescent lights or a small ceramic heater, too. But will need to get the hot switch thermocube for a fan if I'm going to do that as well.

froggy127

I did a lot of research and bought the three items below and they work really well together. I really try to keep my costs down BUT when it comes to ventilation I have found that spending a little for automation when you cant be there all day is worth every penny! If I would have had these installed last November I just might have had fresh tomatoes for Christmas dinner.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E6JC1C/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E6DMEK/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00336G1ME/

I am very pleased with each of these products and would recommend them

webmaster
Site Admin

Thanks for sharing those links to products you personally used and recommend. Word of mouth recommendations of products are the best kind! :)

froggy127

Here is the greenhouse repair tape that is a must have if you have any kind of plastic covering, seems pricey but strong enough to seam plastics,

https://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/pr ... 05434.html

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

I'm so sad! I love that greenhouse website and I could buy such cool stuff like blocks of coir that you really can't get here but they only ship within the US :(

So disappointing!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

evtubbergh wrote:I'm so sad! I love that greenhouse website and I could buy such cool stuff like blocks of coir that you really can't get here but they only ship within the US :(

So disappointing!
You are a lot closer to where they grow coconuts than I am! (A lot of coconut coir comes from India.) I'm sure you would be able to get it. You could check out The Coir Institute of South Africa:

https://www.coirinstitute.com/

I don't know that they sell it, but they could certainly tell you where to get it. Their website told me a lot about coir that I didn't know!

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:You are a lot closer to where they grow coconuts than I am! (A lot of coconut coir comes from India.) I'm sure you would be able to get it. You could check out The Coir Institute of South Africa:

https://www.coirinstitute.com/

I don't know that they sell it, but they could certainly tell you where to get it. Their website told me a lot about coir that I didn't know!
I know! But sometime it's not geographical closeness that matters. Actually Mozambique is even closer and they could potentially produce our entire coir and coconut requirements if they wanted.

I know coir is used industrially and we can certainly buy mats, plant basket liners and other interesting things made form coir but you can't buy the bricks of coir peat at any garden shop, hardware shop or nursery in any city I have tried.

I would guess you can buy it for commercial growing but someone needs to distribute it into stores.

Thanks though, I had never really tried to search online to this extent so I will call them and perhaps like the perlite people I can pick some up from a distributer.

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”