Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

My solar greenhouses gives me enjoyment in the winter!

It seems like I would be lost without growing something in the winter! Today the sun finally came ' after 4 days of 20 degree weather and no sun! I have a acurite temperature gage in the greenhouse that tells me the low and high for each day. There are two devices that record the temp inside and send it to the house 100 feet from the greenhouse. The temp all week was low 32 and the high only in the 40's till today when the sun came out and it went to 70!

I have fans that kick on ever hour from noon till 3 to push the heat circulation to the water barrels! Today I transplanted some lettuce from a box into the ground in one greenhouse. The lettuce was about 4 inches high! I plan on starting cold weather seeds next week in several flats. Probably lettuce and broccoli and brussel sprouts!

I have electric in the double greenhouse that is used mainly for the fans and will help with a new heat type chamber. I have all my dirt strained and ready in 15 5 gallon buckets! I think everyone who likes gardening should try to make a solar greenhouse! I even have the water run off the A frame north side roof collected by a gutter and sent into a 50 gallon drum. The drum is connected to another 50 gallon drum by a syphon hose so I always have plenty of water for the plants! The roof on the A frame greenhouse is 10 feet high by 12 feet long so I get plenty of water! All the greenhouses are made with 2 by 4, s covered with double plastic . I have 4 & 6 mill outside and 3 mill inside. My only problem is that they are at my girl friends home 50 miles away. I only get there on the weekends! In the summer I grow climbings plants over the wire I have all over the greenhouses! I love gardening!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Good test this week for my solar greenhouse when the outside temp will go down tp minus 5 actual outside temp! I hope the inside temp stays above 30 or all my plants will die!

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”