I decided it was time to update you on my greenhouse project.
The first thing I want to mention is my soil:
I think the soil was to rich this year being that it was 12" of manure. Eventhough I tilled it several times at full depth with my Kubota, it couldn't reach down and grab enough of my garden soil to blend.
Because of this rich condition, there were a few seeds that had to be re-planted. I think next year, the soil will be better.
I never had a chance to install rainbird sprinklers this year, so I used garden hose and 4 sprinklerheads controlled by a Yardbird" automatic water system. This worked quite well but I will install an overhead system next year so I get an even spray over the entire area.
Next, I have thermostatically controlled louvers and fans and had the temperature set to kick in at 95F. The thermostats were actually in-accurate and didn't kick in until 114 F. I realized this in week 2 but the high temperature burnt a few seedlings and we had to replant. I adjusted the temperature and never had any issues after this.
The wall height is 8'6" and a few of the corn stalks were a foot above the walls. The corn was peaches and cream and we saved some for seed next year. As well as the peas and beans.
the 3 cucumber seeds I planted went crazy and the canopy leaves were 12" x 12". we have about 4 years worth of pickles now
The potato plants were 50" high and produced a bumper crop.
the 1 pumpkin seed I planted, took over an entire corner of the garden and produced nothing but marbles, so no more pumpkins for me.
The carrot tops were 40" tall but didn't produce a normal carrot, they were stumpy and wide. This may have been caused by us not getting a chance to thin them out.
The Broccoli was the sweetest I have ever tasted.
So, the main reason I built the greenhouse was to keep deer, moose, mice and grasshoppers out.
the deer, moose and mice had no way of getting in, so mission accomplished there. The grasshoppers started hatching early in the spring and I devised an environmentally friendly pest control method for them. I took my grandkids out to the garden, got them to watch me step and twist on a few grasshoppers, then offered them a nickel for each "kill". Within a week of an hour a day, there were no grasshoppers to be seen. Over the next month, I would find the odd one but this method was a complete success. I'm sure there are eggs waiting to be hatched next year, but we will apply the same technique again until we are rid of them.