evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Building a mini greenhouse

My husband and I will (hopefully) build a little wall-mounted greenhouse this weekend. I really hope so anyway!

I have 2 issues - there is only one place to put this and that is a wall in the shade in winter due to the angle of the sun. I know sun would be nice but really I just want to keep seeds and seedlings warm and frost-free. Is this ok?

Second, do I need to warm it with electricity? I have already thought of putting in a light for young seedlings, seeing as this is in the shade. It will complicate things if I also need to find warming mats.

As for the lights I thought of buying and installing this: https://hydro-patch.co.za/store/products ... row-light/ but then I thought I could build this into the roof with aluminum and a light fitting https://hydro-patch.co.za/store/products ... w-lights//. So can I use any light fitting?

I am fairly sure we can make this look neat but I also want it safe.

Finally this is only for the top shelf of 3 so that the lower shelves won't have lights. I wanted to use those for germination.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Hi, you're the one that can answer those questions. You know what part of what country you live in, what you plan to keep it the greenhouse at what time of the year. Hope the project goes well, post pictures, we'd like to see how it comes out.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Hiya, I know but really I just want comments and other people's experience or photos if you have!

Also, does anyone know if I can use any light fitting and just put the globe in? Or do I need a special fitting? Obviously a fitting needs the correct voltage ratings etc, that is not what I mean. Is there a special fitting for these kinds of lights?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

You may want to get an inexpensive hi-low thermometer, and let that be your guide as to what kind of heat and how much heat you need to supplement. Keep in mind that air movement is also very important, so consider what kind of small fan or convection arrangement will work in your space.

Also perhpas consider putting the greenhouse outside a window. That way heat and air movement are much easier to achieve. As an alternative, consider constructing a cold frame, which can be insulated on some walls, and can be heated with just one or two incandescent bulbs.

Daniel from N.Y. built a wonderful cold frame this year. He included many photos and generated quite a discussion in his thread.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... =4&t=52252

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

>>Also, does anyone know if I can use any light fitting and just put the globe in? Or do I need a special fitting? Obviously a fitting needs the correct voltage ratings etc, that is not what I mean. Is there a special fitting for these kinds of lights?

water + electricity = safety hazard
water + electricity can be a fatal mix.

so yes one could say to be perfectly safe you need a waterproof light enclosure plus the proper waterproofing conduit / etc inside the greenhouse.

given your desire for an ultra-simple answer and as you do not wish to share any other information, I suspect you may - even with sound internet advice - not be able to go about it safely.

you should have a qualified electrician handle your need.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

@hendi_alex Oh yes I definitely considered installing a thermometer, otherwise what is the point right? Thanks for the link. I can't do a cold frame because space is an issue and for the same reason I definitely can't put this over the window. But the pictures are really cool and I like the pots, lol.

@Dillbert
as you do not wish to share any other information
?!?
What do you want to know?

Yes I know it could be a safety hazard but when we have an idea of what we need to install we can address the issue of moisture. There would definitely not be an issue when watering but condensation could be an issue. It might a be good reason to find a premade unit but then the links I put up would not be suitable; they are obviously made for open areas and not closed boxes.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

People get pretty anal about electrical issues. I think that lots of factors are involved as to what degree of 'safety' precautions are necessary. My wife and I live here alone. The yard is fenced and we only occasionally have visitors. Also, temperatures only occasionally dip so low that the light needs to be cut on in the cold frame. I run a heavy duty drop cord and plug an inexpensive reflector light into the end of the cord which is sheltered in the cold frame. Sometimes if the ends are outside the cold frame I place them on a block of wood and cover it with a bucket. It is pretty darn hard to get shocked other than a superficial way on 115 volts, especially when handling with care. People can do what they wish, but IMO using conduit and water proof connections is considerable over kill for a temporary heat lamp in a small green house or cold frame. Our cord stays unplugged most of the time that it is set up, and is only plugged in an turned on at night. True, it is not a very safe looking arrangement, but the risk is so low that it will give us a problem, I'll expend my safety budget in other more productive areas.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

@hendi Oh yes I wasn't even referring to the cabling etc. We actually know what we're doing and none of that will be a problem. We will use heavy duty cabling like we have in all our other projects. We have installed power to an outdoor plug point to power our pond and a light already. We don't over do it but we make sure that connections are watertight. Keep it simple, I always say!

I am more worried about condensation on fittings inside the mini greenhouse. I am not even worried about shocking myself but rather causing a short.

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”