kardar2
Newly Registered

first greenhouse

hello,

I have never had a greenhouse and am wanting to grow vegetables in the winter. I live in Redding CA. zone 5. It usually stays high 30's low 40's but it does get down to freezing sometimes. I was thinking of making a 10x10 green house. I am going to make it out of 2x4's and use plexiglass for the sides and roof. I wanted something more permanent then plastic. I am going to put a fan in too. my question is : will the greenhouse stay warm enough for the plants on winter nights or do I need to have a space heater. Do I need to use a grow light on cloudy days or is the daylight enough.. thanks Karl

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Hi Karl, Using 2''X 4" will give you a nice strong greenhouse and the pitch of the roof can be what you think is needed if there will be snow. Plastic works great. You can use glass, framing it in for used windows and needed.

We're planing a greenhouse for the Nevada ranch, here is a picture of the greenhouse we have in the mountains, the 12X12 pitch is to shed the great amount of snow we get during the winter months. The plastic has lasted for years,replacing a panel is easy if needed. This is 10' X 10' with a 6'X6' Potting room in front.

To use the house in winter foam or sheet plastic can be used to seal anywhere heat can escape.

Richard
Attachments
planting_2297.JPG
planting_2297.JPG (58.77 KiB) Viewed 7219 times

kardar2
Newly Registered

Thanks Richard,
I was doing some reading and found out that the double pane poly panels is what really keeps the heat in. And the cost is like $3 a square foot. So I am going to do investigating on the subject . If I can maybe make one at a time just big enough for a 4x4 square foot garden. Karl

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

valley wrote:here is a picture of the greenhouse we have in the mountains, the 12X12 pitch is to shed the great amount of snow we get during the winter months. The plastic has lasted for years,replacing a panel is easy if needed. This is 10' X 10' with a 6'X6' Potting room in front.
anywhere heat can escape.

Richard
Wow, that is a great looking greenhouse, in such a beautiful location.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Thanks, things are just sprouting in it.

CharlesLeof
Newly Registered

My uncle also has a green house of same size kardar2. He has not fitted any heater there but needs a grow light.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I would put 2 -50 gallon drums of water in the greenhouse and in your area the inside of the greenhouse should never freeze as long as you have a double layer of plastic or what ever you are using! The water will probably stay about 50 or more at all times and give off heat on very cold nights!-

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

A 10x10 might have room for 50 gallon drums; a 4x4 would not. If you are using drums, be sure to paint them black to absorb more heat.

If you make a 4x4, you might be able to get away with just using a large incandescent light bulb as a heat source.

You might think about just having 3 transparent sides and insulating the north side.

If you are going to use it to sprout seeds, you will need grow lights and heat mats. Not only do you have cloudy days, but in winter, the hours of sun are short. You will need supplemental light.

I think even without a space heater, you will find it is a pretty power hungry operation, but then my indoor seed starting operation with 16 fluorescent tubes and two heat mats is pretty power hungry too. The heart wants what the heart wants!

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”