swoodard

Indoor Greenhouse Temps

I just built an indoor greenhouse in my garage and was wondering what temp inside should be? I am waiting on some certain kind of electrical sockets before I can install any lighting. I was planning on installing 2 100w CFL 1550 Lumen lamps per shelf. Not sure this will increase the temp to much but maybe it will. It's currently 65 degrees in the greenhouse with no lamps installed. Any advice or experience will be appreciated.

Jardin du Fort

Steve,

It really depends on what you are planning on growing. Different plants have different thermal needs. There are many plants that would be fine with your 65°. Tomatoes and peppers would like it somewhat hotter. And some plants.....that you probably wouldn't be growing in your greenhouse anyway.....like it somewhat cooler. So you see, it depends.
:flower:

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I think 60 to 70 works for most plants especially after they sprou. Peppers will sprout quicker at 80 but add a week and they will sprout at 70. I think a plant grows stronger when the temp is 50 to 60 but that is my opinion! tuffen them up!. Lots of my tomatoes grow at 35 in the winter but slow and I have no problem with them! The temp varies all week from 35 to 95 and t seems not to hurt them. When its too warm the water dries up fast in the soil mix! just don't wet them down to much or water from the bottom!

swoodard

I am starting peppers and tomatoes. Hopefully when I install the lamps the temp will increase a bit. Thanks

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

To do this properly you need a thermostat with a soil prob. Warm soil and cooler air is ideal. In my propagation chamber, I like about 80 for peppers and tomatoes.

Eric

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

I kinda envy your, being able to start plants at this time of year. We still have 3' of packed snow here, at the lowere ranch, high desere 4300ft there in no snow but it 22degrees this morning, still dip to 0degrees at times.

We don't have a greenhouse down there, we'll buld one this year, time premitting.

We have a greenhouse up here 6500ft, but it will be a while before I would dare to start seedlings.

Richard

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”