dewey1945
Newly Registered

How to Fix Harbor Freight Greenhouse Problems

The 6x8 Harbor Freight greenhouse kit can be a real bargain but owners on this and other gardening forums have encountered many problems as well. Among the major drawbacks are:

1) Premature panel failure potentially related to minimal UV protection.
2) Lack of headroom (the door is only 5'4" tall).
3) Thin aluminum components make for flimsy structural support.
4) The sliding door design jambs and comes off the mounting mechanism.

Here are some suggested alternatives I used in the construction of my 6x8 to address these shortcomings.

1) All polycarbonate panels are covered with high quality, 6 mil, UV resistant film.
2) "Raised the roof" nearly a foot by constructing the unit on 2x12 lumber set on edge.
3) Designed my bench and shelf structure so this doubles as solid support for the weak aluminum framework.
4) Hung the door on hinges rather that using the slide design.

I estimate these upgrades cost about $80-$90 over the normal cost of building the 6x8 unit.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Good job looks great! My only suggestion is put two 50 gallon water barrels one on each corner and set your shelves on them for the support. The water will make a big difference in cooling and heating the structure while maintaining smaller temp swings! the water will extend you seed starting season by weeks and also you fall season by weeks or longer .

dewey1945
Newly Registered

Thanks for the good tip Bobberman. I'll keep my eye out for barrels on Craigslist.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I like the heavy plastic barrels but I have bought several 50 gallon metal drums from the quick lube oil change places fop $10 each! They are a black color usually!

Wack

Nicely done. I put up one of those greenhouses in October 2012. No problems with the panels or structural integrity... yet. Mine is somewhat shelted and I live in a relatively mild climate so we'll see how it goes over time. It does cause me concern if I bump one of the tables inside and the structure jiggles a bit.

So far so good on the door, mine seems to work ok especially since my wife showed me a trick where you do most to push to open with you foot in the lower right hand side corner.

The height is a different story and I much admire your work there. A thought of something like what you have done came to mind about the 3rd time I sizzled some hair on the top of my head when it brushed the light I have mounted on the center beam inside.

dewey1945
Newly Registered

Wack wrote: ...A thought of something like what you have done came to mind about the 3rd time I sizzled some hair on the top of my head when it brushed the light I have mounted on the center beam inside.
Sounds like the time I torched my cap while grinding some metal. Burned a hole the size of a golf ball before I realized I was on fire. Sometimes, given my stupidity, I marvel that I am still alive and have all my fingers and toes.

MontanaGal
Newly Registered

Hi Dewey,

I wanted to thank you for your instructions that I found on how you fixed the Harbor Freight Greenhouse. I have extremely high winds so needed to make certain my GH didn't fly away. I used the 2 x 12's like you did and also created a bench frame with 2 x 4s that were also affixed to the frame. It seems really sturdy. Tomorrow is the final day to put in the remaining panels and I am done! I haven't changed out the door but I think next year I may do what you did and put it on hinges but for now I wanted to get it done before the weather changes. Tomorrow afternoon winter will be here with a storm so I just got in under the wire. :D

Thanks so much for the great info.

Karen

Trackmomr
Newly Registered

Can you tell me how you attached the door with hinges? Would like to do that. Could you post a picture? Any direction would be better than what came with the greenhouse!! Thanks!

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Bobberman wrote:Good job looks great! My only suggestion is put two 50 gallon water barrels one on each corner and set your shelves on them for the support. The water will make a big difference in cooling and heating the structure while maintaining smaller temp swings! the water will extend you seed starting season by weeks and also you fall season by weeks or longer .
I may try that in my new one, thanks for the idea.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I have a 10x12' one and the panels blow out in the wind. I added extra clips and they blew out any ways, I use srews to hold them they blew out. I am no thinking of replacing the panels with something stronger.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

If you are thinking of buying one of them lookhow many people have looked at his post, so far 8250.

Dr who1
Newly Registered

Hi
I am new to this. I too have the GH. I also built mine up and works great. My first one sandy took it out. This time I raised it up will take some pics if any one wants.
I need to redo the door. What size and type hinges did u use. Can I see close up pics of it.

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”