Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Sliding metal board to heat water in solar greenhouse!

My brain seems to always be working on my solar greenhouse and ways to take more heat out of the sunnyday high insiude temp. You have to admit that the greenhouse at 80or 90 degrees has most of that heat wasted as night approches. lets hear ways to capture the heat and transfering it into the water storage during the day!
+++
My newest idea has to do with a swing set metal sliding board!. They throw them out all the time or you can even get a old set at a flea maket. Here is the plan! you take 2 fifty gallon drums of water and hook them together with a syphon hose gravity flow that will work all the time on the water level! On the top of the drum,s you place the sliding board with about a 6 inch drom from one drum to the other 6 feet away! A 60 gallon aquarium filter system is connected to the one drum so it pumps the water onto the slide. You could even use a galvanized metal like in warm air duck system for the water to flow down! metal conducts heat quick and the moving water will absorb it quick.
+++
The water flows from the filter pump into the other drum carrying the heat from the metal slide into the drum. The siphon will keep the drum water levels from over flowing!. The system will only kick on when the heat in the greenhouse is above 60. if the water in the drums can stay over 50 at all times the greenhouse will maintain a above freezing temp all winter!. The fans I also have blowing against other drums also adds heat on warm days. Any other suggestions!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Did you ever notice how hot a tire gets in the sun! Water flowing over a tire or through a black hose when the temp of your solar greenhouse is above 70 will heat your 50 gallon drums fast! Pumping water is much cheaper than the actual electric heat. I would say 5 % of the power to heat water compared to all electric heat or gas heat. In other words it takes 1/20 th of the power to heat the water using the heat already in the greenhouse. and store it in the water.

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”