mariabarbara
Newly Registered

Building a cheap greenhouse

I want to build a basic greenhouse, as I am passionate about growing flowers and organic vegetables. Nevertheless, what I need is a simple wooden structure,

If you have built a similar greenhouse, can you please share the total costs (materials plus labor)? Thank you for your help.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

>>I want to build a basic greenhouse,
if you are building it yourself, labor cost is $0.00

the link provides a bill of materials - a quick trip to your local home store and a four function calculator will answer that.

what am I missing?

mariabarbara
Newly Registered

I don't have the necessary skills to build a greenhouse by myself. In addition, I think the project overlooks several aspects, that is why I wanted to hear your opinions.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

What aspects do you think are missing? Material cost - make a list of what you need and bring it to the commercial sales desk at Lowe's or Home Depot or your local lumber yard for pricing. I would check several sources and try to negotiate price. Since you say you can not do it yourself you will need to get estimates on the labor. Do consider your foundation. Before you hire a contractore you want a written quote not an estimate. An estimate leaves you open to additional charges. Make sure your contractor is licenced, insured and reputable. You want a written quote with a detailed description of services provided. So many people get screwed with estimates or verbal quotes. I am sorry I can not help you with $$$ amounts but that varies so much from area to area. You will have to do some home work.

Wish I could give you more specific information but this is one of those deals when you really have to do a lot of research and shopping.

Good luck with your project.

BTW always ask for cash discounts.

mariabarbara
Newly Registered

Thank you for these wonderful explanations and tips. I will follow your advice and go to several diy stores with the material list. In addition, I will research a little to see what kind of foundation is needed.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

>>overlooks several aspects

nothing there addresses the preparation of a flat area.

not mentioned:
the polycarbonate panels for the vent windows
hinges & door hardware

you should also consider:
it's covered in polyethylene film. how much snow do you get?
any high wind events?
it may not be a suitable design for your area - large flat roofs of plastic bags don't stand up to heavy snow and / or high winds.

the plastic film needs to be high quality, thick, UV resistant - even then you'll likely have to have it replaced every 3-4 years presuming it suffers no wind/weather damage in the meanwhile.

basic estimate:
two men, two days - not counting site prep.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

oops/dupe deleted

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Build a simple A frame with 2 by 4 by 8s and set it up on a 2 foot border made also of 2 by 4 by 8's! You can keep addind on to it by making it longer! Insulate the north wall even with ard board! A cheap 6 mill plastic at Wal Mart at $8 for a 10 by 20 foot roll! The inside use a cheap 2 mill plastic drop which is 9 by 12 and cost about $2.50 a roll. The inside plastic needs only to be as thick as 2 mills since it dos not have the weather like the 6 mill. The thinner plastic also lets more light through!
+++
Seperate the plastic from one ince to 4 inches but you need the doube plastic to hold the hea! Also put about 4 50 gallon barrels full of water inside to keep the greenhouse from freezing in the winter. It works. I have 3 of them now! The last one I made over a foot dough out which is only about 8 by 12 inside! Is about 7 feet in the middle! I have chicken wire ober the whole thing so to plant climbers like beans and flowers in the summer! To make a nicer greenhouse and larger use 2 by by 10s. You can also change the slope to even have the back wall straight up and the south angled!

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”